We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend away from Melbourne

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen
Level Contributor
99 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend away from Melbourne

My boyfriend and I are currently living and working in Melbourne but we are looking to get away for a long weekend prefferably somewhere in Victoria as we are on a bit of a budget.

I am looking at places like Gippsland or the Grampians. I have already been to Lakes Entrance so dont really want to go back there.

We are in our mid 20's looking for a relaxing break but plenty to do during the day either boat tours, sightseeing, or just a nice place to walk around and see.

We would also like somewhere that has some nice places to eat at night.

We can rent a car and drive out to the place, just any suggestions on good places would be grately appreciate.

Beach or country are both fine, we love both of them.

Thanks Guys!!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend away from Melbourne

Hello ShayB16,

If you can hire a car for the weekend then there is no limit on what you could do. Base yourself in Lorne or Apollo Bay on the Great Ocean Road, or perhaps Port Campbell on the Shipwreck Coast section, Bendigo or Ballarat and surrounding areas, the Yarra Valley or even the Dandenong Ranges (so close yet so different from the city and suburbs), the Mornington Peninsular, the list goes on.......... Visit www.visitvictoria.com.au to check out the Regions tab for lots more ideas. If it is a long weekend then you will need to decide and book asap or you will miss out on your choice.

Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend away from Melbourne

You could do worse than Echuca. Paddle steamer on the Murray, walk around the historic wharf area, go to the museums, plenty of places to eat and stay.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend away from Melbourne

I really like Beechworth, a number of things to do around the town, some lovely country shops and some nice places to eat. Great walks around there and you can visit other nearby towns such as Yakandandah.

Edited: 30 January 2012, 07:17
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,209 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend away from Melbourne

In early December we did two long weekend trips, one up to Ballarat via Bacchus Marsh then on through Daylesford, Kyneton and back to Melbourne, and the other tootling around the Mornington Peninsula. We enjoyed both and found some great restaurants, especially in the goldfields area. If you're thinking of staying in Ballarat I can thoroughly recommend the cottage we stayed in.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend away from Melbourne

Check out 90 Mile Beach House and Villas in Golden Beach on the Gippsland Coast. We stayed there over the Australia Day long weekend and it was magic!!! www.90milebeachhouse.com.au

250 clicks from the GPO. 25 minutes from Sale. Sale has great restaurants etc, shops, galleries etc. You can check it out on Travel Victoria...

http://www.travelvictoria.com.au/sale/

LochSport is a 25 minute drive away and there is a nice pub right on the lake. You could hire a boat from the Marina and get out on the lake for a few hours. I've done that too, really nice!

Anhoo...check it out...enjoy!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,854 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend away from Melbourne

Hi,

Daylesford makes a great weekend getaway from Melbourne.

www.visitdaylesford.com.au

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,209 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend away from Melbourne

We thought Daylesford was nice but certainly geared to relieving the visitor of as much disposable income as possible...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend away from Melbourne

daylesford is a classic with lots of interesting shops, cafes and the like, and sorrento by the beach has a cruisy vibe that attracts young, couples an d families

healesville could be cruisy too

or lorne on the great ocean road-- nice drive and great little town too

The Land of Oz...
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekend away from Melbourne

Thoroughly recommend Daylesford, as it's not too far to drive, and there are great eateries, paddle boating on the lake, lots of places to walk, and lovely places to stay. Being in "spa" country, there is no shortage of relaxing indulgences available.

Beechworth is very good, too, and there are sightseeing attractions, not to mention the renown Beechworth Bakery.

The Great Ocean Road boasts a whole host of marvellous getaways, too.

On the other side of town, there's the Monrington Peninsula. Red Hill is gorgeous, and not too far to drive.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
237 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weekend away from Melbourne

Queenscliffe and the Bellarine Penninsula is a good destination that is not as commercial and developed as the Mornington Penninsula. There are wineries, fresh seafood, olive farms, blueberry farms and historic townships such as Queenscliffe. It is also not far from beaches such as Ocean Grove/Barwon Heads that are only 20-30 mins away.

Daylesford is also a good weekend destination. Be sure to ckeck out the Beer and Breakfast cafe - fantastic homemade gnocchi and a huge selection of international beers.

The Yarra Valley is also a great place to stay if you enjoy wineries.

The Great Ocean Road is very scenic past Anglesea (about 1.5 - 2 hours drive from Melbourne). Personally, I would stay in Port Fairy rather than Warrnambool.