We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarket along the way from MEL airport to Ricmond?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
oec
Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Supermarket along the way from MEL airport to Ricmond?

Hi we are a group of 6 adults and a baby and are looking to stock up on supplies and groceries for our 2 week stay in Melbourne. We are arriving 9am at MEL and have rented a car. Which big supermarket is best to go along the way from MEL to Richmond? Thanks!

Australia
Level Contributor
608 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarket along the way from MEL airport to Ricmond?

Not sure what part of Richmond you are staying in but there is a Coles supermarket on Bridge Road

oec
Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarket along the way from MEL airport to Ricmond?

Thanks! We are just 2 streets from Bridge Road. Any large supermarkets along the way from the airport that has a larger selection of stuff?

Australia
Level Contributor
608 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarket along the way from MEL airport to Ricmond?

I'm thinking that you will be taking the freeway from the airport to RIchmond so no. If you want to get off the freeway you will pass Highpoint Shopping Centre which will have a Coles. Quite frankly I think the Coles in Bridge Road will be large enough. There is also a Coles in Swan Street, just a couple of streets over.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,671 posts
1,968 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supermarket along the way from MEL airport to Ricmond?

There are supermarkets at Airport West Shopping centre, which is off the freeway / tollway on the way to the city.

Woolworths (which used to trade as Safeway in Victoria only) is (like Coles) Australian owned and typically better than Coles. My personal preference is IGA but you won't find any larger IGAs in a convenient location (there is one in Glenroy near the railway line, but you'll be some distance from it if driving).

Don't forget to have a CityLink day pass if using the the tollway. Alternatively you could drive through Essendon North, Essendon and Moonee Ponds via arterial roads such as Mt Alexander Road where there are supermarkets.

If you look up the Woolworths.com.au site as one example, it should have a location finder for supermarkets. Melbourne Airport is in Tullamarine which if memory serves me correctly is postcode 3043.

There are also supermarkets at the mid sized Gladstone Park shopping centre which is off Mickelham Road, one of the first exits towards the city on the freeway.

Edited: 04 February 2012, 07:13
oec
Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supermarket along the way from MEL airport to Ricmond?

Hi guys, thanks so much! Info helped a lot! =)

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,539 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Supermarket along the way from MEL airport to Ricmond?

As well as the Coles stores along Bridge Rd and Swan St, there is a large Coles at Victoria Gardens on the corner of Burnley St and Victoria St.

There's also a myriad of Asian grocery stores along Victoria St.

You're never far from food in Richmond so I'd suggest waiting till you get there rather than taking lengthy detours on the way from the airport. If you really want to stop on the way in then the closest supermarket to the freeway would be Coles at Essendon Fields.

Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Supermarket along the way from MEL airport to Ricmond?

The Coles supermarket at Essendon Fields (Old Essendon airport) is a very brief detour by taking the Wirraway Road exit. (First exit after the Ring Road cloverleaf of exits).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Supermarket along the way from MEL airport to Ricmond?

Having previously worked a manager at both the Swan St and Bridge Rd Coles stores I can advise that they are both good sized stores with a decent range of items.

There would be very, very few things that you couldn't get at either store.

I no longer work for the company and am not biased, I just wouldn't bother getting off the freeway unless I knew I really had to.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Supermarket along the way from MEL airport to Ricmond?

Parking will be easier at Essendon Fields or Airport West shops. Close to the airport,then you can focus on finding your hotel after that!

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,051 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Supermarket along the way from MEL airport to Ricmond?

If you are that close to Bridge Road, then I would not bother trying to find a supermarket on the way to Richmond. I have been to Coles on Bridge Rd a number of times. It is quite large and has a good range of foods.