We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which way to great ocean road

Maidenhead
Level Contributor
13 posts
265 reviews
Save Topic
Which way to great ocean road

Our travel co has suggested that we travel onto the Grt Ocean Road via the Mornington peninisular and the ferry at Sorrento, rather than the shorter more direct route from the CBD.

I get the impression that the penninsular is largely suburbs and prehaps we would be better taking the quicker and cheaper route and spending time having a more leisurley drive on the GOR.

Is this assumption correct.

Melbourne / London
Level Contributor
68 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which way to great ocean road

Yes the peninsula has more suburbs and will take longer, but IMO it is more sceninc that going directly along the Geelong road out of Melbourne. The ferry trip is nice if you happen to have some good weather. Allow 1.5 hours + any stops/breaks driving to Sorrento from Melbourne city.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which way to great ocean road

I think it depends on how much time you have. If time is not a factor, then I would suggest going via the Mornington Peninsula. Yes, the Peninsula does have suburbs, but it also has some great beaches, wineries and scenery. But you would have to allow an extra 5 - 6 hours at least, to travel this way.

If time if a factor, then I would just go straight from the city.

http://www.visitmorningtonpeninsula.org/

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,037 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which way to great ocean road

Yes, my first thought was time?

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which way to great ocean road

I would suggest the Peninsula, but once at Dromana head up the hill through Arthurs Seat for some great views of the Bay/City (on a good day). From there meander through Red Hill (wineries) and rolling countryside before heading back down the hill to Sorrento for the ferry. If you want beaches along suburbia keep on the Nepean Highway. After the ferry, Queenscliff is a lovely town for a stroll and the foreshore, then head around to Barwon Heads towards Torquay and the GOR. That's if time is no issue, otherwise head straight to Geelong from Melbourne.

Hope you get a sunny day, much nicer.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which way to great ocean road

It's been mentioned in other threads, but if you're in a hire car, check that it's OK to take the car on the ferry. It seems several companies say that you shouldn't do this, thus affecting your liability if anything happens to the car while on the ferry (admittedly, probably not likely),

Edited: 23 February 2012, 05:24
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which way to great ocean road

I would definately take the quicker option if you would like to make the most of the GOR.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
174 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which way to great ocean road

I agree with tripii. If you are interested in the Great Ocean Route take the quickest route possible. It's definitely a whole day drive if you need to go back to Melbourne the same day. The peninsula is magnificent and you could spend a whole day just exploring it.

8. Re: Which way to great ocean road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 06:17