We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving after 30 hours being on a plain

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
driving after 30 hours being on a plain

we have 3 flights from the US to Melbourne(15+7+7). we arrive to Melbourne in early morning and plan to rent a car at airport, get out of the city and rest somewhere in country side. is it difficult to do after our flights and with different style of driving?

Great Ocean Road Small-Group Eco-Tour...
1,260 reviews
from US$105.40*
Special Offer
Phillip Island Tour from Melbourne
559 reviews
from US$66.89*
US$133.77
Special Offer
Yarra Valley, Puffing Billy Steam...
270 reviews
from US$68.51*
US$137.02
Melbourne Super Saver: Great Ocean...
117 reviews
from US$218.09*
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving after 30 hours being on a plain

really not advisable or even fair to other road users.

we had an instance in our area a few hours south of sydney where a foreign tourist did this after a long flight from europe and killed two locals when he fell asleep at the wheel. he of course survived.

take a shuttle/bus/cab into town and rest up overnight.

and even then u will have to be very careful for the first few days driving on the 'wrong side'.

coming out of accommodation parking lots or gas stations can be your downfall. just make sure u keep left!

Edited: 19 March 2012, 22:26
Lancaster...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving after 30 hours being on a plain

thank you so much for advise with our driving. do you have any recommendations how to accustom to "wrong side" of road? (I will pay a lot of attention when I leave a gas station or a parking lot). I have read that one driver put a red dot in front of on a window of a car to help. I have driven in different countries in the world, but never on "wrong side".

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving after 30 hours being on a plain

i should have added that i fly between the aus and the usa on a regular basis and stay and drive in your country from 1 to 3 months.

i have a trip directly home to sydney from the mid west that takes a total around 20 hours.

despite the fact i am a 'left hand side of the road driver' i never drive the couple of hours home (or into town if staying overnight) directly from sydney airport . even a few weeks away can confuse esp combined with jetlag.

and i have been known to jump in behind the steering wheel instead of the passenger side in sydney airport parking lot when being picked up!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving after 30 hours being on a plain

I agree totally with lien on this one. After 30 hours flying getting into a car and driving from the 'wrong' side of a car on the 'wrong' side of the road in a place where you don't know the roads, the traffic or understand the rules, and all this while being jet lagged, makes you an accident waiting to happen.

Why would you risk your life or that of your family and other road users?

I would suggest you book into a hotel, jump in a cab, rest up and then enjoy your holiday.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving after 30 hours being on a plain

a red dot or a little keep left sign on the dash 9some rentals even have this) will help.

best of all is your passenger telling u constantly to keep left. even if in the end u feel like throttling him/her.

and when u get in the car first thing, think about it deliberately, not just start up and drive off.

and let the passenger do the navigating and the gawking. the driver should just concentrate on driving, at least for the first few days.

Edited: 19 March 2012, 22:47
Lancaster...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving after 30 hours being on a plain

Lien, thank you so much!

I HATE big cities.... I live close to Philadelphia, New York, Washington and Baltimor, but never go there. but I guess, I have to stay in Melbourne. it is a very long flight to get from US to Australia.

maybe you can recommend only ONE special thing to do in Melborne? very unusual and memorable thing. a thing, which I can't do anywhere else.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving after 30 hours being on a plain

well i spent the first few years of my life in melbourne but that was over 50 years ago and despite being a frequent visitor i shouldn't be the one to recommend melbourne attractions. will let 'the locals' do that.

but if u r into sport (or even if u r not) an australian rules football match at the melbourne cricket ground would be about as unique as u can get.

the season finishes in september.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving after 30 hours being on a plain

Lien, I will come to Melbourne on Sept 28...

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving after 30 hours being on a plain

the grand final is on the 29th.

u would probably struggle to get tiks. at least watch some of it on TV

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving after 30 hours being on a plain

You may need to book accommodation in Melbourne well in advance that weekend. AFL Grand Final is sort of like Super Bowl.