We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 months in Melbourne

İstanbul
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
3 months in Melbourne

Hello everyone,

I am planning to stay in Melbourne as a visiting researcher in one of the universities in Melbourne between July and September. I have a limited funding so I have to consider living conditions in melbourne. I have daughter and she is planning to attend one of the intensive English courses providing an international certificate. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. First of all, I have not decided where to stay yet; melbourne or Sydney; Melbourne or Auckland. Melbourne seems a better option but it seems also more expensive than the other two cities.

2. What about accomodation facilities and what regions are more reasonable to stay? (one*bedroom house with a kitchen and bathroom is fine for me but I need to stay in the or close to the city center I guess)

3. I've heard that almost all buildings do not have central heating so the winters are quite cold. Is that true?

4. Do you hink I may find an accrediated intensive course for my 14-year-old daughter?

5. As far as I understand Melbourne is a safe city but there is a risk for natural disasters such as floods and earthquake. Am I wrong?

6. What do you think of the universities in Melbourne, What do you know about their attitude for an overseas visiting fellow?

So many questions, I am confused a lot.

Thanks in advance

İstanbul
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 months in Melbourne

I've also heard home swapping is a good option for short term visitors. What do you think of that?

Thank you.

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 months in Melbourne

Ok, this post is not really travel related.

However, if you are planning to work in Melbourne, none of the other cities will be of any use to you. Sydney is 870 kilometers and an hours flying time from Melbourne. Auckland isn't even in Australia.

I have lived in Melbourne for nearly 40 years and the only earthquake I ever felt was a three second rumble like a heavy truck was driving along the street. Quakes in Melbourne are extremely unusual and very, very minor.

I expect Melbourne univerisites are happy to exchange knowledge and ideas with overseas Fellows. We are a very mulitcultural city.

While a lot of residential buildings have no central heating, we have other forms of heating. You will not freeze. In comparison to a northern Hemisphere winter Melbourne is quite mild.

Your residence would depend on the University you will attend. Many are not in the CBD.

İstanbul
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 months in Melbourne

Thank you for your comments. I know Auckland is in New zeland, and Sydney is far from Melbourne but I just want to decide after suggestions of experts on Melbourne. Your comments are very helpful. Thank you again.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 months in Melbourne

Do any of the Universities you are considering offer an accommodation service for people in your situation? If so, go with them, as short term accommodation such as this can be hard to get, and can tend to be expensive.

Melbourne is a very liveable city, and while you will be there in winter, as others have said their winters are not all that bad.

However again I'd suggest don't accept any role unless accommodation has been definitely organised.

Cheerz Wabster.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,736 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 months in Melbourne

I have lived in Sydney for 15 years, but currently am living in Melbourne. Im not too sure why you say Melbourne is the most expensive city. Certainly in accommodation costs, Sydney is more expensive. As for food and travel expenses, I dont believe there is too much difference.

As for heating and cooling, you will not have a problem. All accommodation will have some form of heating and cooling.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 months in Melbourne

I would recommend staying in Melbourne, re your concerns, it never gets that cold in Melbourne its unlikely to drop below 0C (record min is -5C) snow is a rarity (once every few years), and we are not an eathquake prone area, occasional minor tremors 3-4 on the ritcher scale

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 months in Melbourne

i would check out stayz or similiar site for short term fully furnished rentals-- maybe out of city so you get both experiences, and as i ve got kids, i would find it better not lving in the city --although stay within a tram or bus ride into 'town'. most fully furnished places will have good heating but pack winter clothes. melbourne is a pretty safe city as far as natural disasters go and common sense about after dark in certain areas of the city--ie king st around nightclubs for eg. carlton, middle park, south yarra or toorak would all be great places to stay-- little villages for that community feel but close to the city

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 months in Melbourne

As far as your daughter is concerned, why don't you just enroll her in the local secondary college? It will certainly be accredited and intensive and she will have the opportunity to meet people of her own age and make friends.

I am sure that your University will have some contact people who can help you make all these arrangements. If it's the University of Melbourne I know they have a whole department dedicated to accommodating the needs of overseas students. I guess researchers come under this heading.

Melbourne has a Mediterranean climate - not unlike Istanbul but probably not as cold in winter.

Stayz..com is a good place to find accommodation and you don't need to be close to the centre of town - as long as you are near a train station or on a tram line you can get around easily.

BTW, you will probably find that pretty soon this thread will be shut down by the 'not travel ralated' police ;-)

İstanbul
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 months in Melbourne

Thank you for your precious comments. It gave me full of ideas about Melbourne. I will contact all the universities in Melbourne in two days and I hope one of them will accept my proposal. Comments about accomodation, public transport and facilities for my daughter made me feel better. I searched photos of Melbourne via internet and I really enjoy what I see. Completely different from Istanbul, which I want very much these days :))

I really appreciate your comments. Thank you, thank you, thank you a lot ...

Edited: 01 April 2012, 13:42
10. Re: 3 months in Melbourne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 11:41