We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne Travel Agent for South America

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne Travel Agent for South America

I've come across a Melbourne TA that conducts tours to South America.

It is called South America Tourism Office.

Has anyone used them and could give a recommendation

Thanks

1. Re: Melbourne Travel Agent for South America

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 March 2012, 23:05
Edited: 30 March 2012, 23:05
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,434 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne Travel Agent for South America

Sue B

where are you going in Sth America?

Are you after a comprehensive tour or are you planning to fly from one country to another and book separate "tours" or packages within different countries?

IME, the travel we booked here in Australia was all farmed out to various operators and as we found out, we paid a lot more for at least one of those side trips which was delivered by people that the agency here subcontracted to. It wasn't until we had paid in full that all of this came to light and it was too late to do anything about it.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,308 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne Travel Agent for South America

Yes I agree with Dougo. We have taken several trips to South America and most of it we have booked ourselves with local agents and operators.

Tell us where and what you want to see and maybe we can help.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
400 posts
686 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne Travel Agent for South America

I agree with the others... better organize with local operators, it will be cheaper

I am in Montevideo at the moment, and am using Travel Club in 18 de Julio. Leticia here has been great for us.

India
Level Contributor
43 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne Travel Agent for South America

Hi Nozzie,

I've Read your post about South America local tour operators. My husband and I are heading over in October from Brisbane and are unsure whether or not to book a tour from the travel agents books or do it independently like you have.

Could you please MSG me with the details of tour operators you know. We are looking at Peru (all main attractions), Argentina and Brazil (Rio etc).

Any info you could give us would be great!

Thanks, Brumer. :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,308 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne Travel Agent for South America

have sent you a PM

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne Travel Agent for South America

i have used them a few years ago and i just have some friends who i recommended and they where just so happy with their trip.

they are a small company but very well known for the expertise.

cheers

Jeff

2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne Travel Agent for South America

i have used them a few years ago and i just have some friends who i recommended and they where just so happy with their trip.

they are a small company but very well known for the expertise.

cheers

Jefpol

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne Travel Agent for South America

Hi Sue,

We usually travel independantly, Europe/USA etc, however we used them in 2010 - recommended by a friend - I also believe that they are a SA wholesaler - arrange travel for travel agents- but we were able to deal direct.

Obtained seperate quote from a TA just to compare and SAT were less expensive.

Having said that, yes, they sub-contract out to various local individuals and companies - we had a limited timeframe - 23 days - and perhaps tried to cover too much ground - however, their service was seamless - some of the air connections left at reasonably difficult times of the day - the agents were there every time - on occasions - the individual took shortcuts to avoid long queues.

Checked very hotel against TA reviews - all - without exception were well reviewed.

Fortunately for us we were in good hands when at Machu Pichu - a lightning rail strike was declared - a long story short - also demonstrations in Cusco closed roads and was threatening the airport - the agent manged to overcome these great obstacles (and they were real) to arange air travel to allow us to continue the itinerary - without interruption - otherwise we would still be there - the most frequent comment we encountered when these issues were mentioned was

" Well, it is South America - you know "

Yes - I would recommend - but with the benefit of hindsight - I would also take up the suggestions of other posters and check out some local- recommended - in country SA companies.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melbourne Travel Agent for South America

Sue B,

To clarify - I was referring to South American Travel Centre - regards ...