We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne with Young Children

CA
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne with Young Children

Husband on a business trip to Melbourne for four weeks. Kids and I tagging along.

Any suggestions for what I might do in May/June with a 2 year old and a 4 year old? Probably based in Port Melbourne.

Any good parks/playgrounds we ought to see?

Activities that might amuse little ones on a cold/wet day?

Places where we might meet more little ones with like minds?

Any suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne with Young Children

Hi JJ

Not far from Port Melbourne is the Melbourne Sports & Aquatic Centre. Has an indoor wave pool that kids love (has to be with an adult though for younger kids). Just another 1/2 mile or so along the same road at Middle Park is the largest outdoor playground in Melbourne. Sort of place with lots of swings and bridges, ships, castles etc all built into one big playground. Melbourne Zoo would be really goood as well to see native animals.

There is also all around the suburbs privately run indoor playgrounds which kids love & would be great places to meet other kids & mums during the week. I will try & find the names & details of these and post some for you.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
136 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne with Young Children

You could contact Playgroup Victoria to meet some other families with little children. Playgroups are for families with babies through to pre-schoolers, and are usually an on-going group that meets once per week to enjoy activities together etc... Often families get together apart from this time too.

Port Melbourne would be in the Port Phillip area, so look at www.playgroup.org.au/Location/results.asp… or talk to someone in the central office about the possibility of joing in for the month.

CA
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne with Young Children

Thanks for both of your messages. Wave pool sounds fun and I know the kids will love the biggest playground! If you do have time for any indoor playground info too, that would be wonderful.

Am really happy to have contact info for playgroups too - thanks so much.

It's all a great help.

Fremantle, Western...
Level Contributor
681 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne with Young Children

If you get the chance, the Puffing Billy train is a great trip for young kids. My son was very much in to Thomas the Tank Engine, so he was thrilled with the train ride.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne with Young Children

You could also try the Melbourne Aquarium in the city (only 10-15 mins by light rail/tram). It's very good and has a great walk through tunnel to see sharks etc, a beautiful coral attol and a kids 'hands on' fish tank where they can touch the star fish etc. A 5 min walk from the Aquarium is the Rialto Observation Deck which will give you the best views over Melbourne. A 5 min walk in the other direction will take you to South Bank which is a series of cafes and shops on the Yarra River. They have a cinema complex here also. You should also try out ScienceWorks which is great for kids aged 2+, it is an interactive hands on museum where they can play to their hearts content free of charge and adults are only $6. Attached to ScienceWorks is the Melbourne Planetarium and they have a great program here for kids of all ages. You can count on a full day at ScienceWorks - my children love it. Have fun.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
676 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne with Young Children

The Melbourne Museum has a childrens area with hands on activities and an interesting Bugs Alive exhibit. Cost is only $6 for adults and free for kids. As you will be based in Port Melbourne you can easily hop onto a tram and go into the city. The Botanical Gardens has the Ian Potter Childrens Garden which is great for little kids to explore. Check though as the childrens garden will be closed for one month for maintenance. Otherwise the Botanical Gardens are lovely for a walk and a coffee at the Observatory Cafe which is near the Shrine of Rememberance on St. Kilda Road. The weather then will be cold as it will be Winter but not as cold as Europe or northern U.S.A. Probably similar to San Fransisco weather. Scienceworks is good fun too. You can get a ferry from Southbank which drops you off there. 2 year olds are a challenge to entertain especially indoors.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
676 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne with Young Children

Here is the link to the Ian Potters Childrens Garden site:

…vic.gov.au/rbg_melbourne/ian_potter_foundat…

You are in luck as it will be open when you are here.

CA
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne with Young Children

Thank you everyone for all of your comments. I appreciate this help and can't wait to come and see these places in person!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
676 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne with Young Children

Feel free to ask more questions. I have two kids too but they are a bit older than yours but I still remember that it is challenging to entertain 2 and 4 year olds especially in Winter. Indoor playground tend to be located further out in the suburbs but I will check and see if there are some around that area. Port Melbourne will be an excellent area to base yourself. Very close to the city and it is right on the bay with a bike/walking path that goes for miles. There are often large ships docked nearby for the kids to look at and there is a street (Bay Street) which has lots of cafes and shops. As long as it is not rainy and windy you will be able to be outdoors. It never snows in Melbourne and the temp would be around 13 - 15 degrees celsius then. My husband works in Port Melbourne and I can recommend many good restaurants too.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
676 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melbourne with Young Children

One more thing - are you staying at the Beacon Cove development in Port Melbourne? If so, they might have their own type of playgroup happening there for families with young kids. Check it out when you get there.