We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Australia (20/5 -27/5)- what to wear?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Australia (20/5 -27/5)- what to wear?

Hi there,

pls advise on what to wear as I will be travelling to melbourne and Sydney on 20 may to 27 may.

We will be doing the usual tourist stuff and sightseeing.

Thanks in advance!

Pauline

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Australia (20/5 -27/5)- what to wear?

Clothes...I hope!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Australia (20/5 -27/5)- what to wear?

The weather at the moment is variable. Some days warm some days cold - especially Melbourne which has been quite chilly. And it is getting cold at night. Bring lots of layers from t shirts to sweaters and light jackets. Pashminas are always useful.

In Melbourne you will need long sleeves. Not yet in Sydney. Closed shoes rather than sandals.

There are stores here do if you need something you can always buy when you get here.

And bring an umbrella.

Enjoy your trip.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,272 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Australia (20/5 -27/5)- what to wear?

Coming from Singapore you wil be cold. The last couple of days have been in the low 20's, but the the nights are quite cool - around 15 degrees. Having said that, this time of year in Melbourne, the weather can change quite quickly. For example, this weekend the forecast is for 14 degrees maximum and windy and showery. It will not snow in Melbourne, but there is snow forecast in the nearby mountains.

Keep an eye on this website for the latest forecast.

www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/melbourne.shtml

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Australia (20/5 -27/5)- what to wear?

This will give you an idea of what to expect in the few days leading up to your trip. For the first two links you only need to look at the time and "Tmp" column. All temperatures in °C. Both pages updated half hourly:

Weather in Melbourne the last 72 hours:

bom.gov.au/products/…IDV60901.94868.shtml

And Sydney:

bom.gov.au/products/…IDN60901.94768.shtml

And also the forecasts!

Melbourne forecast:

www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/melbourne.shtml

Sydney forecast:

www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/sydney.shtml

Edited: 09 May 2012, 04:16
Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Australia (20/5 -27/5)- what to wear?

Thank you all for your kind advice!

Melbourne, Sydney.. Here we come!! Hahahah!!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Australia (20/5 -27/5)- what to wear?

Bring a plastic poncho as well ... one that can fold up to fit into a bag.

Melbourne can be sunny one minute, then showery the next ... 4 seasons in one day!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
635 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Australia (20/5 -27/5)- what to wear?

You definitely need to have clothes.

Auckland NZ
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Australia (20/5 -27/5)- what to wear?

I am visiting Melbourne also from 20 May. My daughter has warned me to bring layers. Melbourne people have got out their winter coats for commuting but I will not be up so early so I don't think I will need a full coat. A jacket and merino tops should be enough. If it gets really cold I will have a good excuse to buy a new winter coat,won't I?

Perth
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Australia (20/5 -27/5)- what to wear?

Melbourne is the Fashion capital of Australia! Followed closely by Sydney. I'd suggest packing stylish, smart casual outfits with lots of layers! Melbourne weather is variable and lives up to the saying "4 seasons in one day"

If you're planning on heading out in the evenings, ensure you have proper dress shoes also.

10. Re: Visiting Australia (20/5 -27/5)- what to wear?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 01:42