We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski City in Melbourne?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
102 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Ski City in Melbourne?

I've tried a google search and looked in the forums on trip advisor but haven't been able to find any reviews on Ski City in Melbourne.

Has anyone been? Is it worth the time? I was thinking of surprising someone (adult) for his birthday, and since the ski slopes won't be open yet and he has very little ski experience I thought it could be fun before heading to the real thing in winter.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski City in Melbourne?

I hadn't heard of this until late last week when a friend of mine suggested we check it out. He hadn't been, so I'm not sure whether it is any good. Perhaps you could contact them and see if you can go in and have a quick look at the place to see exactly what they offer before buying any passes.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski City in Melbourne?

This is a new business so I know nobody who has been there - but I did see an article about it on TV....

If your friend is an inexperienced skier it is probably a good idea as a try before you go..... that way you know what you are in for when you hit the slopes.

When you get to the mountain get a beginners ticket. It gives you a free beginners lesson and limited lift areas but as you are a beginner you do not need to access the whole mountain.

If you are new to skiing try to get accommodation on mountain as it will also enhance the experience..... mmmm hot chocolates at Swindlers Mt Hotham mmmmm I can't wait

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
102 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski City in Melbourne?

Cool, thanks guys.

I didn't have time to check it our in person first but I'll just take him anyway - there's nothing to lose! Have other plans for the rest of the day.

I'll let you know if it's any good!

And thanks for the advice about beginners passes- sounds great. Can't wait!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
102 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski City in Melbourne?

Ok so if anyone was wondering, it's really good!

It's basically a big shed with 3 giant treadmills on adjustable inclines with a sort of wet carpet.

You can choose to either snowboard or ski. We chose to snowboard and were complete beginners. There are horizontal poles at the front for you to hold on to as you learn. The instructor is with you and it's basically like a private lesson. You take it in turns 10 mins on 10 mins off. Can have 2-4 people on the treadmill at once.

The instructor we had was pretty good and very patient.

Beginners can use it to learn the basics and experienced skiers or boarders can use it to perfect their technique.

They have packages which make lessons cheaper if you buy them in advance.

There are bathrooms, tea and coffee and a ski gear shop.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski City in Melbourne?

Thanks ALeeKAt- always good to hear about new places/activities in Melbourne that we can recommend to others.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ski City in Melbourne?

Thanks for letting us know how it was!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ski City in Melbourne?

Thanks AleeKAt - just wondering, have you had a chance to hit the real slopes yet? I'm wondering how it compares to the real thing. Do let us know if you do experience real skiing in the snow.

8. Re: Ski City in Melbourne?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 07:16