We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best cosy pub in Melbourne CBD?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Best cosy pub in Melbourne CBD?

Hi,

I'm planning a small get-together (drinks and maybe a meal) with 6 friends on Friday evening 13 July. I'm looking for a nice pub in the CBD which has a relaxing, warm atmosphere and is not too noisy.

I'd ideally like a place with no live music, and preferably with no big sports focus - but as long as there's a good comfortable area we can sit and chat, I suppose some footy on tv is pretty unavoidable in Melbourne....

Any suggestions? Inner city suburbs might be ok but must be easy to get to by public!

Thanks,

Ann

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,005 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best cosy pub in Melbourne CBD?

We are only visitors to Melbourne, but have twice been to this little pub and really like it.

http://www.charlesdickenstavern.com.au/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best cosy pub in Melbourne CBD?

Relaxed and cosy on a Friday night might be a bit difficult with all the city workers end of week drinks. And no live music or sport also makes it hard. You may want to try bars as opposed to pubs.

I would recommend the Tuscan Bar upstairs at 79 Bourke St. Its big enough not to get squashy and has plenty of seats. The rooftop second level generally has heaters on in winter. You can get some good food there and its not usually too loud. The Imperial Hotel on the corner of Bourke and Spring streets could also be ok, but can sometimes get busy on Friday and does have sport on the TV, but not over whelming.

The poster before who recommended the Charles Dickens has steered you to the biggest soccer focused pub in Melbourne (so not best for avoiding sport). However the reasonably nearby (Basement of 415 Collins St) is the Sherlock Holmes Inn which might fit your needs well.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,811 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best cosy pub in Melbourne CBD?

I would concur with robnrikki. Any pub or bar in the city that isn't busy on a Friday night is staring down the barrel of bankruptcy and probably isn't very good.

We have occasionally been to Young & Jacksons on Friday night for dinner and if you go upstairs it's not so noisy and crowded and the food in the restaurant is not too bad.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best cosy pub in Melbourne CBD?

Once you hit a certain time at night, they all get noisy!

The Exford on the corner of Russel and Little Bourke is noisy downstairs but VERY QUIET upstairs if they dont have a function on. (Which I love when I just want to relax with a couple of friends and actually have a conversation before going somewhere with more atmosphere!) It's a good place to go if you want no line at the bar, no line at the loo and free reign on their jukebox (free of charge too). Upstairs has a lot of couches and also a pool table.

Edited: 06 July 2012, 05:02
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best cosy pub in Melbourne CBD?

If inner city suburbs are ok your options expand quite a bit. A couple of favourites:

North Melbourne - The Court House Hotel (the bar is not v big so go early)

Fitzroy - The Napier (can't guarantee no live music, but lots of corners to hide in)

North Fitzroy - The North Fitzroy Star

Carlton - The Rathdowne Tavern

Collingwood - The Fox Hotel

East Melbourne - The Baden Powell Hotel

Richmond - The Vic or The Aviary, but if you're in this part of town go to one of the many vietnamese restaurants for a meal first.

Most of these places are right on a major tram route from the CBD. The North Fitzroy Star is close to the tram down Nicholson St, but requires a short walk and a bit of navigation. Worth it though. The Napier and the Rathdowne Tavern are both two blocks from the nearest tram route, but easy enough to find.

6. Re: Best cosy pub in Melbourne CBD?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 05:15