We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philllip island Ecco tour & penguins

Los Angeles...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Philllip island Ecco tour & penguins

Has anyone been to Phillip island Ecco tour & night penguin parade?

Is it worth the cost & time it takes (12 hrs.) for entire outing. Thank you

Escape Discovery Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours
The Little Penguin Bus
Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Melbourne Boutique Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Wild Wombat Escapes Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
223 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Philllip island Ecco tour & penguins

You need to give us the full name of the company, there are several that call themselves an 'eco tour'.

los angeles
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Philllip island Ecco tour & penguins

sorry, I don't know the name since someone is arranging it for me. If you have any insight that may be helpful. thanks

pa
Level Contributor
871 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Philllip island Ecco tour & penguins

We rented a car and drove down ourselves earlier in the day then stayed for the Parade.Being a family of 5 we were trying to do as much as possible on a budget. We just purchased the cheap seats which was perfectly fine you get to see the Penguins plus as you're walking back the boardwalk to the main building could see the penguins closeup! Really didn't need a tour we like to have the freedom of stopping whenever and wherever we want.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,052 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Philllip island Ecco tour & penguins

I really do think seeing the penguins is worth it. We added a flight to Melbourne on to our trip last March specifically for this opportunity. it was my second time - had to take the kids!

Both times, I rented a car and drove down from Melbourne and stayed a night on the island. There are also lots of day trip options from Melbourne. They rush you through everything, but you still get to see it all.

I like going to the Penguin Parade on my own because you can arrive well before the tour busses (the place is actually open all day and, during the day, you can go down to the beach and take photos, etc, which you can't do at night once the penguins start coming in). You can get down to the front of the seating area and sit right by the ropes on the sand. I've sat there both times and been glad for it, although this last trip it wasn't very crowded, so it was less of an issue.

Wild penguins. Not too many opportunities to see that! I'd go for it. :>

www.penguins.org.au/index.php…

Edited: 02 August 2012, 00:23
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Philllip island Ecco tour & penguins

If you've got the time I would rent a car and drive yourself with an overnight stay on Philip Island. You could then return to Melb via the beautiful Mornington Peninsula.

Are you travelling alone, with other adult/s, with children? What time of the year will you be here?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Philllip island Ecco tour & penguins

Hi,

Is buying a ticket the only way to sight the penguins? Are we able to just self-drive to the beach anywhere on the island and be able to spot them?

I'm planning a trip for 10pax mid - end jun...

TIA.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Philllip island Ecco tour & penguins

Yes, must buy tickets and can only see them from the designated 'viewing area'. The penguins are in a 'protected area' to ensure that they and their habitat/nests are not disturbed or damaged by enthusiastic tourists.

There are apparently some penguins that can be seen free of charge off St Kilda pier, near Melbourne CBD. They are not always there so it's just the luck of the draw if you get to see them.

8. Re: Philllip island Ecco tour & penguins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2013, 10:16