We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yum Cha

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Yum Cha

I know that similar questions have been asked previously but the posts haven't quite covered what I'm looking for. My daughter (adult) has taken quite a liking to steam buns and as we are all getting together in Melbourne in a few weeks, I thought it would be good to find a restaurant known for these.

We are staying on the edge of the CBD, so I'm guessing Chinatown would be our best option? I'm also thinking that these would be plentiful at a restaurant serving yum cha?

Looking at the less expensive options.

Hoping there area good options is the less expensive price range :-)

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yum Cha

Hu Tong Dumpling bar in Market Lane off Little Bourke St.

http://www.hutong.com.au/

Edited: 16 July 2012, 14:48
Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yum Cha

Thanks for the suggestion evamelb. Looks good :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yum Cha

Are you after the steamed dumplings or the steamed (pork) buns?

If you're not too precious, then you could try the real thing at Nam Loong near Chinatown. They have been making proper Chinese pork buns for over 20 years now. They're famous for their pork buns.

The restaurant is extremely basic - people go for the food, not for the 'dining experience' or service. The buns are how they're meant to taste, true Cantonese style. Nothing pretentious there and very cheap! You may also be in the only Westerners there too.

https:/…

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yum Cha

Thank you beryl_be. Yes steamed buns - pork and the sweet ones too. This place sounds great :-)

Got to love TA, always people with great input!

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,107 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yum Cha

There you go...now you can go to the Oriental Teahouse, as I've just recommended on one of your other threads;

http://www.orientalteahouse.com.au/teahouse

Enjoy Melbourne, we always do.

Edited: 17 July 2012, 14:04
Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yum Cha

Thanks again Sue C

Yes, I love Melbourne. Great place to visit - I grew up there. Sometimes places are better to visit :-). We usually head down once or twice a year. Usually during the footy season.

Still have friends there and they're always special trips.

On the last visit (only last weekend), we had Italian twice and Korean (a first). Often have Vietnamese and/or Greek. My daughter is meeting us on our next visit. As it's our first get together since she moved to Darwin, I was trying to think of some things she would like.

Would rather get recommendations for these things, rather than go somewhere without knowing what they're like.

Getting some great ideas :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yum Cha

hi veejay, the urbanspoon site is really useful.

urbanspoon.com/r/71/1492911/restaurant/CBD/N…

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yum Cha

Just back from my annual trip to Melbourne and 3 that I could recommend are

1. Shark Fin Inn..top end of Lt Bourke St.

2. Dragon Boat Palace on Lonsdale St

3 Hutong Dumpling House on Commercial Rd...also in CBD.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yum Cha

Totally agree with BearsdenBrian re the top 2 places for yum cha.

Just be aware that there are 2 "Dragon Boat" yum cha restaurants, one in Little Bourke St (@Chinatown) and the other one is called Dragon Boat Palace on Lonsdale St. The Lonsdale st one is much better. I would not even bother with the one in Chinatown. It has changed owners many times now and it is no longer even passable. It's is so sad as it was excellent in its heyday. Happy eating!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Yum Cha

I really like the Red Emperor at Southgate.