We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Days in Melbourne

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
4 Days in Melbourne

I am flying in from Sydney and I will have 4 days with the wife to see the major sites of Melbourne and the surrounds, what are the must see and do's for us?

Thanks,

J

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Days in Melbourne

Top of my list in Melbourne was - the Shrine of Rememberance and the Old Melbourne Gaol (and do the Police City Watch House too where you get "arrested"). We are also a big sports fan so we did a whole day sports venue tour with Melbourne Sports Tour (http://www.melbournesportstours.com.au/).

I'd also recommend a wine tour to the Yarra Valley - we used the Australian Wine Tour Co (http://www.austwinetourco.com.au/) for ours and had a great day.

I'd highly recommend doing the Great Ocean Road too but I'll let someone recommend a company as the one we used were awful.

The Little Penguins would be on the list too but I'd go for the express tour so you just get there for the penguins as our add ons (some farm and a koala place) were a waste of time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Days in Melbourne

Depends what you and your wife enjoy doing. Let us know your interests, etc and we can help you better. Also, what time of the year will you be here?

Edited: 24 July 2012, 20:57
Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Days in Melbourne

Mid-Sept. are when our travel plans will put us in Melbourne. We enjoy the following: Cities, Culture, Food, Wine, Coffee, Nature and Markets. So I guess I am always looking for the 4-5 must see an do's when I am in a city and their surrounds. We like to cover alot of ground if it can be done without much stress.

Thanks,

J

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Days in Melbourne

I'd recommend hiring a car and taking a drive down the Great Ocean Road, probably as far as Apollo Bay. Start early so that you avoid some of the traffic and get to spend some time stopping along the way. If you end up with the time, make it all the way to the 12 Apostles it's a nice enough site... but really just part of the landscape that's now falling into the ocean.

Apart from that - try to wander in and out the city alleys and arcades... absolutely stunning and fascinating. You can start at Flinders Street and walk from there.

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 Days in Melbourne

What are some of the stop along the great ocean rd? Sounds interesting and I like the idea of a nice day drive with some activities in between.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 Days in Melbourne

The best town stops along GOR would be Lorne and Apollo Bay - both really nice little towns right on the beach with ocean views, nice restaurants and cafes, galleries and some great shops. There are also other nice little towns along the GOR, but much smaller than Lorne/Apollo Bay, and a number of places you can pull off the road to admire the view or walk down to the beach.

www.visitgreatoceanroad.org.au

Other really nice day trips would be to the Mornington Peninsula or Yarra Valley. Both easy 1 hour drive from Melbourne (plus stops along the way)with some beautiful views, restaurants, galleries and lots of wineries. If going to Mornington Peninsula for the day I'd suggest you drive to Sorrento and take a ferry ride across the bay to Queenscliff and back - about an hour each way and you may even see dolphins. You can take the car on the ferry, or leave it at Sorrento and go on foot on the ferry.

www.searoad.com.au

www.visitmorningtonpeninsula.org

www.morningtonpeninsulawineries.com.au

www.visityarravalley.com.au

Note: You could combine the GOR with Mornington Peninsula. You would need 2 days to do this with an overnight stay, probably at Lorne, and then a one-way ferry crossing (Queenscliff to Sorrento) and then return to Melbourne via the Mornington Peninsula.

In the city of Melbourne, definitely wander the 'laneways and arcades' - there are guided walking tours or you can get maps for self guided tours.

www.thatsmelbourne.com.au › Home › Places to visit

7. Re: 4 Days in Melbourne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2013, 10:16