We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodation & must sees

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
accommodation & must sees

Hi

Heading down to Melbourne for a romantic weekend with the hubby. Would really appreciate advice on a charming area to stay. Love to be walking distance to great wine bars / coffee shops, which is where we'd love to hang out (as opposed to clubs etc). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stace

Melbourne
Level Contributor
453 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accommodation & must sees

When are you coming and what is your budget?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accommodation & must sees

lol ... sorry. Getting excited about a weekend away without the teenagers!

Flying in from Sydney early on Friday 7 Sept & flying out late on Sun 9 Sept. Budget is flexible - say $200-$450 for the two nights. Maybe a secret stay. There's a 5 star secret stay on need-it-now one in the "Paris" end of Collins St. It might be the Sofitel? Not sure if that's in the right vicinity. We're mid 40's & would be fine with a boutique hotel/pub in the right area too.

Many thanks

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accommodation & must sees

River_Zoo99 - yes, it does look like that secret hotel is Sofitel.

needitnow.com.au/NeedItNow/…

I booked a secret 'Wot Hotel' through wotif that was the Sofitel. I have posted the link to this below and it looks to have the same amenities as the Need It Now one:

www.wotif.com/hotel/View…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: accommodation & must sees

Try reposting this question with something like "Great wine bars/coffee shops?". I think sometimes the 'experts' get a bit bored (understandably)with 'must see' and 'accommodation' questions.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
453 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: accommodation & must sees

We have stayed a couple of times at the Quest in Gordon Place, Little Bourke St at the Spring St end of Little Bourke St and there are several wine bars and restaurants around there.

We also often stay at the Langham for a night in the city and eat at one of the many restaurants at Southbank.

Movida in Hosier Lane, is not technically a wine bar but a tapas bar but has great food, wine and atmosphere, although I think you would need to book.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
364 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: accommodation & must sees

The Age has a "best bars" guide which came out recently. This supporting article might give you some useful suggestions:

theage.com.au/entertainment/restaurants-and-…

Good bar areas like Fitzroy are only a very short tram ride from the city. Fitzroy is also coffee central-many great cafes on and just off Brunswick St.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,404 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: accommodation & must sees

I love staying in Southbank ....fab restaurants, cafes & bars..just a few minutues walk into the CBD.

Plenty of good hotels there too....

The Langham, The Hilton, The Crowne Metropol, etc.etc...

wotif.com/hotels/australia-melbourne-southba…

My list on Melbourne Hotels.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i27340-Melbourn…

Edited: 06 August 2012, 00:38
8. Re: accommodation & must sees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 03:16