We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train luggage restrictions

North East England...
Level Contributor
18 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Train luggage restrictions

I was looking to travel the last part of our Australia trip from Albury to Melbourne, where we fly back to the UK, by train as the flights go back to Sydney then to Melbourne.

Looking at the website for NSW Country Link there is a restriction on checked in luggage weight maximum of 20kg. As we've got 23kg for all our internal as well as international flights will we have a real problem if we're above the 20kg.

Seems a shame to miss out on enjoying a train journey after five weeks of flying around Australia.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train luggage restrictions

"Seems a shame to miss out on enjoying a train journey after five weeks of flying around Australia"

many would disagree with you ;-)

u r allowed 2 x 20kg checked luggage.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,361 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train luggage restrictions

Are you staying in Albury and you want to get to Melbourne? If you want to go by train I would be surprised if anyone noticed (or cared) if you were 3kgs over the limit. It should not be a problem.

But you can fly direct from Albury to Melbourne with Rex airlines. Its a regional airline that flies between major regional cities and state capital cities.

http://www.rex.com.au/

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train luggage restrictions

Unless you turn up with a steamer trunk or a shipping container, I would be VERY surprised if they even weighed your luggage.

Don't expect too much from the train ride. I'd make sure that you bring your lunch/snacks with you.

The food on sale is, I am sure, edible - but only just!

Pay the extra and go First Class. The price difference is minimal but the carriages are much quieter and less crowded. Depending on when you are traveling, the Albury to Melbourne train can get very busy. I think from memory that you have to book a seat but you can do that when you get to the station.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
783 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train luggage restrictions

If they fly with rex, as International passengers, they will be limited to 20kg luggage with excess baggage charged at $6.60 per kg.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train luggage restrictions

Note that you don't have to check your luggage in on the train (although you can if you wish) - you're allowed to carry 2 x 20 kg bags on board with you (plus a smaller bag). As already stated, it would most surprising if anyone took any interest in the weight of bags that you carry on to the train.

In addition to the Countrylink services, there are also V/Line services on this route (the vast majority of it is in Victoria which is served by V/Line whereas Countrylink is mostly NSW, although it does go through to Melbourne). I'm not sure if Countrylink offers off-peak fares, but V/Line does, which are cheaper.

Edited: 21 August 2012, 12:00
North East England...
Level Contributor
18 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train luggage restrictions

Wow!

Thanks for all this really helpful information.

Looked at flying option which is obviously quicker but much more expensive and there's the transfer from airport to consider.

Rather like the idea of relaxing on a train and seeing some more of the country and Southern Cross station is just up the street from our hotel in Melbourne.

Will take the advice and book first class.

Thanks again to all.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
417 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train luggage restrictions

We travelled Melbourne to Sydney by Countrylink last month and they only weighed the luggage we were checking in. They didn't take any notice of what we were carrying on board with us.

If you are worried about being caught out with excess baggage pack a lightweight bag in your case that you can offload 3 kilos into as hand luggage if need be.

Have a great trip - we loved our train journey!

North East England...
Level Contributor
18 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train luggage restrictions

Should have mentioned that we are making this journey at the end of November and have heard Vline often have to substitute train for bus to Seymore because of track problems.

Have things improved? Or are services reliable.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train luggage restrictions

V/line Fares Albury-Melbourne

Economy Class $30.10

First Class $36.10

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train luggage restrictions

Track work happens all the time. Usually on weekends. You can check on the VLine website. If there's a disruption the train is replaced by a bus service. It's not as comfortable as a train ride but tolerable. Seymour is only an hour or so out of Melbourne.

Edited: 22 August 2012, 12:49