We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-footy meal

perth
Level Contributor
128 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-footy meal

Hi there - heading to Melbourne from Perth for the first time this weekend with the husband and just wondering what is the best plan for getting some dinner before the game at the MCG on friday night? We are staying on Little Collins Street, planning to walk to the MCG and just looking for somewhere casual. Do we need to book?

Also in regard to restaurants in general on the weekend, is it advisable to book in advance or just take our chances and go for a wander?

Thanks!

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,777 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-footy meal

The game starts at 7.50 this Friday, so you would not want to get there any later than 7.30 - just to be sure. Do you have reserved seating? If not, then I would be getting there no later than 7. If you want to eat at a restaurant before the game, and you are staying in Little Collins St, then I would recommend a restaurant in Chinatown, in or near Little Bourke St. There are many restaurants in this area. There will be no need to book, however, I would allow plenty of time to eat and then get to the ground.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-footy meal

Another good eating area on the way to the G if you dont feel like Chinese, is Fed Square. A variety of restaurants including The Transport Hotel which will be very noisy and very busy. A meal at Y & Js across the road isn't bad. Up market pub grub. If you like Indian food then along Flinders St opposite the station are a few fairly grotty but incredibly good Indian restaurants which are really cheap. My favorite is Flora.

If you prefer a food court type place then the food at Southgate is cheap and cheerful if somewhat lacking in atmosphere.

Agree that unless you have reserved seating you need to be there early or take Oxygen because you'll be up where the air is very thin:-))

perth
Level Contributor
128 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-footy meal

Thanks for that, sounds great! - yes we do have reserved seating - were planning on heading out about 5pm to eat then get to the MCG by 7ish. My husband is a VERY excited!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
813 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-footy meal

I would recommend Fed Square.

You will have lot's of different places to choose from and it is on the way to the G.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,582 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-footy meal

I also suggest Fed Square. If rthe weather is nice, you can walk to the G along the river. If not, take the tram.

6. Re: Pre-footy meal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2013, 10:17