We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

melb airport

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
melb airport

hi

any suggestions for something to do at melb aiport for 6 hours?

we have a lay over from adelaide to bangkok - so we have probably 3 hours before we have to go through customs

from memoery there isnt much there but we dont really want to go anywhere because no doubt once we leave it will be difficult to get back again or we will end up late

thanks

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: melb airport

It's a truly desolate part of Melbourne. You could jump in a cab and go to DFO at Essendon but if you do that you may as well go into the city for an hour or two. But do you want to spend a good $120 in cab fares for a couple of hours? I'd take a good book, go through immigration and security, head to Cafe Vue and relax for three hours.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: melb airport

thanks for the advice.

dont really want to leave tha airport as im sure we will end up being late and as you say $120 for a cab - we do have a driver in Melb but its going to depend on traffic too.

thanksP)

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: melb airport

Depending on how many of you there are (ie it could be cheaper to take a taxi), the Red Bus (I think it's called Skybus) get you into Southern Cross Station (Spencer St.) in a very fast time, around 25 minutes. The buses leave every 10 minutes and are reliable. Traffic back to Tullamarine can be built up at times so you need to allow for that. As eva said maybe the DFO at Essendon is a good choice but hey, you are going to Bangkok so why bother. I think you would have enough time to get to the city and back in 6 hours, but if you are re checking for your international flight you must allow 90 mins for that depending on the airline. 6 hours is a frustrating amount of time in Melbourne as it's touch and go. If it was 5 I would say no way, if it was 7 I would say definately hit the city. I would use this time to browse the airport as boring as that is. Alternative is to check with the airline and see if there is an earlier/later flight you could possibly fly on that makes your connection time a little easier. Qantas and Virgin fly very regulary between ADL and MEL, however Jetstar and Tiger don't allow changes without a fee.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
826 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: melb airport

What about seeing a movie at Westfield shopping centre in Airport West?

It would only be a short 10min cab ride which wouldn't cost too much and you wouldn't be very far away from the airport. Given movies are around 2 hours or so you'd have plenty of time to be back well before your flight.

Check out session times and cinema details here:

villagecinemas.com.au/Cinemas/Airport-West.h…

Also -are you flying on the same airline from ADL to MEL then on to BKK?

If so you'll probably be able to through check your luggage and receive boarding passes for your MEL to BKK flight which means you'll have more time to spare during transit.

Edited: 26 September 2012, 01:49
Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,643 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: melb airport

Actually seeing a movie at Airport West is an excellent idea. Traffic would not be a problem at all.

What time of the day and what day of the week will you be here?

6. Re: melb airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 18:17