We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving time and route from Philip Island to MEL airport

Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Driving time and route from Philip Island to MEL airport

Hi,

I am planning to drive from Philip Island to the MEL airport.

Being unfamiliar with the place, pls advice what would be the fastest route and approximate duration so that I can also book for my air tickets.

Thanks in advance.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,979 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving time and route from Philip Island to MEL airport

According to google maps about 2 hours. For the best route see https://maps.google.com/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
794 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving time and route from Philip Island to MEL airport

What day and what time?

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving time and route from Philip Island to MEL airport

The length of time will depend greatly on the time of day you intend to drive. The distance from Phillip Island to Tullamarine airport is 165 kms. Even with the best fraffic flow, I would allow at least 2 hours. In peak hour I would allow at least 3 hours.

gomapper.com/travel/airport-directions-to/tu…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving time and route from Philip Island to MEL airport

I'd definately allow more time than you think you need, regardless of when you are travelling. While it doesn't happen often, when the Monash is closed due to an accident (or roadworks or equipment malfunction), it can turn into a car park. There are alternate roads, but they can't cope with carrying the amount of extra traffic, especially in peak hour.

I'd rather be relaxing at the airport for an extra hour than getting stressed sitting in traffic which isn't moving.

Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving time and route from Philip Island to MEL airport

Thanks for your info.

I will be travelling on the 28 Dec (Fri before the long New Year break). I will most likely set off in the morning from Phillip.

What is the time that I should avoid peak hour traffic?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving time and route from Philip Island to MEL airport

It's holiday period so you're lucky. Not much traffic to contend with. Three hours will be more than enough time, even allowing for refueling the car and getting it back to the rental agency. If you have an e tag on the car, it's freeway almost all the way.

Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving time and route from Philip Island to MEL airport

Thanks. Will take note of the pointers.

8. Re: Driving time and route from Philip Island to MEL airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2013, 10:15