We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three hotels - unable to make a decision!!!

Cornwall, UK
Level Contributor
237 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Three hotels - unable to make a decision!!!

Westin, Langham or Sofitel? Have narrowed them down and all offer us approx same rates for overnight & breakfast. All have good reviews but still unable to make a decision! Any preferences or comments would be appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three hotels - unable to make a decision!!!

If you're coming in our Spring or Summertime, go to the Langham. The location and atmosphere by the Yarra River should be nice and it's a reasonably short walk across the river to the main part of the city.

If you're coming in the colder months, eg. April to October, go to the Westin for its slightly more central location.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three hotels - unable to make a decision!!!

I agree with Robol. My personal first choice is the Langham in one of the Club Terrace Rooms. I have looked at some of your reviews in case we had some Hotels that we had visited in common and we do, with the Shangri-la in Singapore.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,643 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three hotels - unable to make a decision!!!

All three are excellent hotels and you could not go wrong with any of them. But on location alone, I would suggest The Westin, simply because it is closest to the city center. But it's only splitting hairs.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three hotels - unable to make a decision!!!

We love the Langham, and their buffet breakfast is fabulous. A 5 minute walk takes you across the Yarra to the CBD, or to tram / train. The Langham also has full undercover access to a number of restaurants and bars, such as Walters Wine Bar, Red Emperor and Miyako to name a few, as well as a few shops. This means if the weather is foul you can still go out and not end up looking like drowned rats.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Three hotels - unable to make a decision!!!

I've stayed at the Langham and Sofitel and my preference between the two is the Langham.

My one minor issue with the Langham is the lack of public seating areas. It does however, have a great pool and spa which the Sofitel does not.

I haven't stayed at the Westin. While it's the most central of the hotels, I do not like that part of Swanston St across the road from the hotel. It always looks scruffy to me.

Cornwall, UK
Level Contributor
237 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three hotels - unable to make a decision!!!

Thank you all for your replies.

Robol - we are arriving the day before Christmas Eve and only spending one night & day in the city as we are having Christmas down on the Mornington Peninsula. Hoping that the weather will be good for a few days!

Actually, that leads to another question .... which hotel is easier to access by car coming from the airport? Daughter & partner will be driving from the airport to collect us late afternoon /early evening Christmas Eve and then to continue down to MP. Just thinking about the traffic conditions etc and which hotel is most convenient for that?

Edited: 02 November 2012, 18:16
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Three hotels - unable to make a decision!!!

I think the Langham would be easier to get to from the airport, as it is just off the fwy. The Sofitel is in the CBD which is a little bit trickier.

From the airport, make sure you get included in your hire car an "E-tag" which allows you to go on the toll roads. The daily charge isn't that expensive and the location you are going to really needs one.

To get to the Langham, you would just follow the Tullermarine FWY toward the city and go over the Bolte Bridge. As you go over the Bolte Bridge get in the left lane for you to take the Power Street exit and the Langham is basically there.

Going to the mornington peninsula would be easy from the Langham, as you just need to get back on the same FWY as you were on from the aiport at Power St (but head in the direction away from the aiport!)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,423 posts
1,569 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three hotels - unable to make a decision!!!

Another vote for The Langham. I've stayed at all 3 & all are equally good however I do love being in Southbank. As mentioned its best to stay at the Langham for easier access from the airport.

Cornwall, UK
Level Contributor
237 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three hotels - unable to make a decision!!!

Thanks 309Trav for the info.

Hi Ellemay, maybe I should have emailed you directly last week...could have saved myself some research time!!!

Have made the decision its The Langham!

Thanks to everyone.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,423 posts
1,569 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three hotels - unable to make a decision!!!

LOL; I forgot your TA name Cornish !! I'll check my email... You will love The Langham. I hope your coming to Sydney too ??