We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are we trying to do too much in 5 hours?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
Level Contributor
90 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Are we trying to do too much in 5 hours?

We are coming into Melbourne on a cruise ship mid Jan and have about 5 hours. We have looked at the attractions etc and wondered if this would be too much to do in this time frame. Catch the tram into CBD, do the loop on the free tram. Disembark at the Flinders Station, walk to Federation Square and over to either Fitzroy Gardens or the Botanic Gardens, (which is best?). We could then explore a bit of the river near Southbank before catching the tram out to St Kilda's. After a look around there, it would be back to the CBD to catch the tram back to the ship. We will have our daughter with us so walking may be at a slower pace. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are we trying to do too much in 5 hours?

Sounds fine to me but how old is your daughter? Will she be in a stroller? It will also be hot in mid Jan so you will need to factor this into your walking ability.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
90 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are we trying to do too much in 5 hours?

Our daughter is disabled but can walk in 15 -25 minute bursts before needing a rest. How far would it be to walk from St Kilda Beach to Station Pier? Thought we may finish our day at St Kilda and then walk back to the ship from there. Just wonder how much time we should allow for a leisurely walk. Of course, alot would depend on the weather and energy levels.

Edited: 05 November 2012, 06:15
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
283 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are we trying to do too much in 5 hours?

I think it sounds rushed but maybe possible, I'd stick with the plan and see how you go with whether or not you'll be able to fit in st Kilda. If st Kilda is really important to you maybe cut out the circle tram. Both the fitzroy & botanic gardens are lovely IMO. Enjoy your trip :)

Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are we trying to do too much in 5 hours?

It's about 5 kilometres from St Kilda Beach to Station Pier.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are we trying to do too much in 5 hours?

I personally think its a bit rushed but not impossible. I like the idea of tram into and around the city, disembark at Flinders then Fed square is across the road. (alternatively instead of going around the city walk through the city- you will probably get a better feel than going around the city)

The Gardens... Fitzroy Gardens are lovely however the botanic Gardens are on the way to St.kilda from Fed square you can take the tram, get off at the gardens, walk around, then get back on the same tram and continue down to Stkilda..

If you do it this way then 5 hours should be ok..

6. Re: Are we trying to do too much in 5 hours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2013, 10:17