We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 1/2 days in melbourne

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
2 1/2 days in melbourne

Hello! I will be arriving in melbourne on march 24 (9am) and my flight departs for cairns on march 26 around 3pm

my 2nd day will be devoted to a full day GOR trip. I will be getting melbourne australia tours or escape discovery tours.

because my 1st and 3rd day will be getting out and in a plane. I would rather walk around melbourne and enjoy free sites.

day 1:

queen victoria market,st kilda,acland,fitzroy

federation square,NGV,australian center for moving image

exhibition building, shrine of remembrance

chinatown for dinner

day 3: half day

southbank, royal botanic gardens, flinders lane

st paul, st patricks

kindly comment on the order I presented my itinerary. thanks!

Edited: 07 November 2012, 14:08
Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 1/2 days in melbourne

That is a very busy itinerary. I'm not too sure that you will be able to do everything you have listed on day 1. If you arrive at 9am, (is that from an international or domestic flight?), allowing another 60-90 minutes to arrive at your hotel, it is already mid morning.

I would visit the Queen Victoria market first, as this is the most central of your list and is also the busiest of a morning. Allow approximtely 1 hour here.

Then I would go to the Exhibition building. Is there a reason you want to visit Fitzroy? The Exhibition building is the only one on your list (and Fitzroy) that is located on the other side of the city, so this will take extra time to get to.

Federation Square, NGV and ACMI are all located together and are easily reached by tram.

St Kilda should be seen during the afternoon. Every Sunday there is an arts and crafts market along The Esplenade (near the beach).

By the time you have seen these attractions, you would of deserved a good meal in Chinatown!!

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 1/2 days in melbourne

Sorry, I meant to say, day 3 looks a lot more doable.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 1/2 days in melbourne

thank you navy35!

I have heard that fitzroy has good and cheap eats. thats really the only reason I can think of for wanting to visit there. Its the same area as acland and st kilda right?

I will be cramming a lot in 1 day since I have no idea when I can visit melbourne again.

I googled st kilda st instead os st kilda. does this look better?

day 1: queen victoria market, exhibition building,federation square,flinders st, australian center for moving image, NGV and chinatown.

day 3: st kilda, acland, st patrick, st paul and royal botanical gardens if theres time.

Maybe you can help me take out 1 or 2 sites =)

thanks again!

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 1/2 days in melbourne

Acland St is in St Kilda. Fitzroy and St Kilda are two completely seperate suburbs located on seperate sides of the city (they are approx 8 kms apart). I would recommend doing St Kilda on your first day, simply because on a Sunday there will be more activity than a week day (ie the arts and craft market). Exhibition Building and Fitzroy are literally next door to each other. I would leave these two until either until later the first day or early the third day. But in all honesty, due to your tight schedule, I would give Fitzroy a miss.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 1/2 days in melbourne

Agree with Navy - don't bother with Fitzroy. It's a great suburb but nothing really noteworthy to see.

I'm not sure what you are expecting at Exhibition Buildings? Unless there is an event on, the buildings will be closed so it's just a walk around and some photo ops.

For cheap eats, there's plenty of places in St Kilda.

I'd probably start the day in St Kilda, then head towards the city to The Shrine and perhaps a walk around the Botanic Gardens, ending up at the NGV, ACMI and Fed Square (all very close). You can end up in Chinatown for dinner.

BTW, it's nothing like Chinatown in Vancouver. Basically it's just one street - Little Bourke St - with some lanes off it . Mostly restaurants with a small handful of shops between them. If you are interested in the 'chinatown' where the Chinese (or other Asian) communities live, eat and shop, then you need to go to Richmond, Footscray, Springvale or Box Hill. Of these, Victoria St Richmond is the closest to the CBD and easiest to get to.

Enjoy wonderful Melbourne.

Edited: 08 November 2012, 22:24
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 1/2 days in melbourne

@evamelb and navy35- thank you for helping me out. i think im have a more concrete iti now. based on both of your suggestions. I am dropping fitzroy from my list.

day 1: st kilda, shrine of remembrance, royal botanical gardens, federation square, ngv, acmi. dinner.

day 3:queen victoria market, exhibition building, flinders lane and some churches.

chinatown is not part of the list anymore since it seems sydneys chinatown is bigger and better. Will just go if I still have the time.

I have been trying to contact escape travel tours for their march prices of GOR day tour. No reply after 2 emails in a week! I am considering asking another company now

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 1/2 days in melbourne

Hi papemelroti!

I would tweak your day 3 plan. If you are going to GOR on day 2, you will get back pretty late. Next day you have to be at the airport by 1-1.30 at the latest (did I understand correctly that your plane leaves at 3?). Unless you hop up at sunrise and take off for QVM (it does open at 6...) or churches (early morning service) you don't have much time... Leave out the Exhibition building, sure, it's nice, but, unless you have some deep personal reason to go there, nothing that cannot be missed. You schedule is tight!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 1/2 days in melbourne

Im usually up by 6am in the morning. Flight to cairns will take 3 hours and id rather sleep on my way there. Starting the day around 7:30 am is ideal.

If i do lack time i would also skip the exhibition building. My itinerary is very ambitious but doing 80% of it is already good:)

Edited: 10 November 2012, 16:26
9. Re: 2 1/2 days in melbourne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2013, 10:17