We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne in March

Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Melbourne in March

Hi,

Thinking of bringing my mom for a short trip to Melbourne in March. This will be her first visit to Australia, hope anyone can suggest any places to visit. Preferably with scenic views. Thanx

Rgds

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne in March

How many nights will you be here? Will you be hiring a car? Will you be staying in the city centre the whole time or would you like to stay overnight outside of Melbourne? Do you also want suggestions for Melbourne city centre too?

Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne in March

Hi BrawBlether,

Sure i am cool with city center. I am looking for about 1 week or so...

Rgds

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne in March

I think the obvious tour would be along the Great Ocean Road. Maybe do an over night trip with a tour company. Other places worth visiting would be the Healesville Sanctuary (about a 90 minute drive from Melbourne), which has Australian wildlife. Visit Eureka sky deck, the tallest building in Melbourne.

http://www.zoo.org.au/healesville

http://www.eurekaskydeck.com.au/

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,563 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne in March

Navy has given you some good suggestions, but just following up on BrawBlether's questions:

Is it an option to rent a car & stay overnight at a few places outside the city (ie Phillip Island, Yarra Valley, GOR)?

Do you want to do day trips with tour companies?

Have you done any research to work out what places interest you?

www.visitvictoria.com.au will give you some info about places you can visit. Let us know what interests you specifically & we can give better recommendations.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne in March

Monday 11 March 2013 is the Labour Day holiday, so that's a long week-end. There's lots going on in the city with the "Moomba" festival, so it's a bit of a fun time. Accommodation availability could be affected although it may be any increase in visitors will be off-set by fewer business travellers.

Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne in March

Hi Ellenwillow,

Was thinking of GOR, the open zoo, eurekaskydeck, thinking about the Puffing Billy, Will it be the time of the year for dolphin swimming..? Yup thats about all i can think of and how many days do i need for the above and will it be out of way?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne in March

There are also lots of scenic places to visit without leaving Melbourne.

- A ferry trip down the river from Southgate to Williamstown followed by a walk around the historic suburb and lunch overlooking the water can be a pleasant way to spend half a day.

- A visit to Fairfield boathouse for Devonshire Tea and a stroll along the river.

- Take a tram to South Melbourne Beach and then walk along the foreshore towards St Kilda or start at St Kilda and wander along the boardwalk towards Brighton. When you have had enough jump on a tram or hop in a cab and head back to the city.

- Spend some time enjoying the Melbourne Botanical Gardens and all of the other wonderful gardens in the city precinct.

http://www.melbourne.com.au/gardens.htm

- If you are in town between to 20th and the 24th March, a visit to the flower show might be of interest to your mum - mine used to enjoy spending a whole day there.

http://www.melbflowershow.com.au/

- A day in the Dandenongs with it's tea shops, gift shops and lovely walks. March should be starting to get into some autumn colour on the trees.

Sometimes I think that visitors focus so much on the GOR and Phillip Island that they may miss some of the great places right here in Melbourne.

March is a wonderful time of the year to visit. Generally the weather is still warm in the days but the nights are getting cooler. But it's Melbourne so anything is possible.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,563 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne in March

w3lw3l, are you going to rent a car? This is important for us to know as it will restrict what you can do if you are relying on public transport & tours.

Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne in March

Hi ellenwillow ,

I was thinking to rent a car. I believe it should be easy getting around ya...

If possible will love to drive along GOR down to adelaide and fly back home from there. Does that mean i will have to miss out alot just tod drive along GOR? Any idea how long will that take?

Rgds

Wei

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,224 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melbourne in March

The GOR is not the road between Melbounre and Adelaide. You can take a (long) day tour of the GOR or spend 2+ days selfdriving it or take 3 +days driving the GOR and continuing further to Adelaide. It's worth spending a few days in and around Adelaide. The problem is if you only have a week or so then seeing Melbourne, doing the drive, and seeing Adelaide is way rushed. It depends on your interests and priorities.