We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Introduction of MYKI

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Introduction of MYKI

There have been quite a number of posts recently asking about Myki. So I thought it might be a good idea to try to explain how the system works.

Myki is the smart card ticketing system that is replacing Metcard in metropolitan Melbourne and paper tickets on buses in selected regional towns. Myki is a durable and re-usable smart card that stores value to pay your public transport fare, that can be used on all Melbourne's public transport system (trains, bus, and trams).

The main thing to understand at the moment is that Victoria is in the midst of introducing Myki and currently has 2 ticketing systems in place - Metcard and Myki. As of 28 December, Metcard will no longer be used at all, on any public transport throughout the state.

How will this effect short term visitors who want to use public transport for a short period?

Currently, Metcards can be purchased on a bus or tram for use immediately. Visitors can also purchase "Myki visitor packs," which costs $14 (concession is $7), which consists of $8 travel money ($4 on a concession card) from the Visitor Information Centre at Federation Square and the PTV Hub Swanston Street, Corner of Swanston and Little Collins Streets. The cards are non refundable.

I visited the Myki office this morning at Southern Cross station, and was informed that it is the Government's intention to introduce a "paper" ticket for short term use by or before 1 Juanuary 2013 ie, when the Metcard system is terminated. This would eleviate many problems that tourists currently encounter under Myki.

I should also point out that any public transport trip under Myki is cheaper than using Metcard. The savings can be quite substantial. For example the shortest trip with a Metcard, is $0.72 more than with a Myki (zone 2 full fare) and as much as $8.60 (zones 1 & 2 wkends and public holidays).

In no way am I saying that Myki is a better or worse system than Metcard. All I'm trying to do with this post is explain to visitors how the system(s) work and what may be best for them.

http://www.myki.com.au/Home/About-myki

http://www.myki.com.au/Fares/Metro-fares

…vic.gov.au/news/news-promotions/melbourne-s…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
71. Re: Introduction of MYKI

>>>when in Sydney I can travel around long distances and all day for $2.50. <<

For a pensioner rate, which only holds true for a section of the population. I do get the frustrations with Myki but your comparison is not comparing like for like.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
806 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: Introduction of MYKI

Thanks for all the help! :) Much appreciated!

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: Introduction of MYKI

Breath-of-life, you can buy a Myki card or put money on a Myki card at any seven eleven.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
806 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: Introduction of MYKI

Thanks, Navy! :) Much appreciated!

perth australia
Level Contributor
299 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Introduction of MYKI

As a tourist are you able to find out what the discounts are on the Myki tourist card and what does Myki stand for ?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,122 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Introduction of MYKI

The list of discounts is at the bottom of this page: …vic.gov.au/images/stories/documents/mediare…

Stands for "my key".

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: Introduction of MYKI

Thanks for that link Luigi. To be honest, I had never thought of looking at the what the discounts from the tourist packs were. There are quite a few discounts in there that many tourists would not be aware of and pay full price for. For all the controversy about Myki, this is definately one of the better points and should be pointed out to tourists.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,122 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: Introduction of MYKI

Yep, it's pretty impressive. Almost makes me want to come to Melbourne. :))

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,925 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: Introduction of MYKI

I'm VERY impressed that someone finally found the list. It's referred to in all of the MYKI advertising but until now has been quite elusive.

Well done luigi!

melbourne
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: Introduction of MYKI

MYKI is the

WORST TICKETING SYSTEM in the world, I live here and I would advise

DO NOT visit Melbourne because of it.

The restrictions are far too numerous, the price far too high and the availability is pathetic.

NO SINGLE JOURNEY is the start of this crappy ticketing system so if you arrive at a working machine then you will be behind many others and miss your train

TRAMS and BUSSES are even worse, no single journey means you have to walk to a 7/11 which can be miles away, if you hop onto a tram or bus and do not have a valid ticket you will be done EVEN IF YOU TELL them you have no other way to get to a 7/11. They will book you and not their problem even if you have any realistic reason. (Broken legs just maybe????) Some stations do not have machines, then what??

This system cost us Victorians $BILLIONS and we get spin how good it is, not so...................

They celebrate not having "Single Journey" tickets by spending $70 million building holding cells on a number of our stations. Would NOT put that money into single journey ticketing would they?.

Buying on line, A wait of 36 hours, A MYKI ticket (card only) costs $10 and complicated refund. Expensive slow services. Other restrictions, TOO NUMEROUS to mention.

.If you are a world traveller, then get ready for a new experience

"The worlds most unfriendly ticketing system"