We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday saver ticket

Hong Kong, China
1 post
Save Topic
Sunday saver ticket

Is Sunday saver still valid for travel on Sunday?

Because I've checked the PTV website, no information about Sunday Saver could be found.And It shows 'Only single-use 2 hour, Daily, City Saver and Seniors Daily Metcards will remain on sale until Friday 28 December.'

If it is still valid, where can I buy it?

Otherwise, does Myki provide the same discount?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday saver ticket

With a Myki card fare is $3.30 all day Saturday AND Sunday. Tag on and off as usual but it won't charge more than that. Great value.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday saver ticket

You can no longer purchase the Sunday Saver Metcards.

…vic.gov.au/fares-tickets/…

The only way you can get the Sunday Saver discount is to buy a Myki.

Have you seen the Myki visitors pack?

www.myki.com.au/About-myki/myki-visitor-pack

You'll get the Sunday Saver fare if you use one of these.

If you use the discount vouchers they talk about, you may get your non refundable $6 payment for the card back. They don't seem to say anywhere what the '15 attractions' are but hopefully they include some of the more popular Melbourne attractions.

It's a disaster for tourists!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday saver ticket

To say it's a disaster for tourists is a bit of an overstatement. This is just $6 that is non refundable. If $6 is going to ruin your holiday then i think maybe you can't afford to be travelling in the first place. It might be annoying if you're only in Melbourne for 1 day, but it by no means is a disaster.

And with the MYKI you also get the cheap price on Saturday as well as Sunday without having to buy one of the old 5 x Weekend daily tickets.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday saver ticket

I didn't suggest it was a disaster just because of the non refundable $6 - although if you are a family of 4 traveling is is quite an unnecessary imposition. It is also unique in the world of smart cards. In every other country where these cards are used they are either free or there is a refundable deposit.

It's disastrous for tourists for a number of other reasons:

- There is no single ride ticket option. Why should short term tourists eg cruise passengers, those transiting in Melbourne on their way to another destination or interstate business travelers, who may be visiting the city for just one day and only want to take one or two rides have to buy a $14 Myki card? It can make for the world's most expensive tram ride.

- It's only available at 2 places - Fed Square or the PTV hub in Swanston St. so it's not readily available. How does a tourist arriving by Skybus and looking to take public transport to their hotel buy a ticket?

- It's not easy to use. In most cities, like Hong Kong, London or Singapore, you don't even have to take your smart card out of your wallet to touch on. In Melbourne if your 'touch on' isn't very precise with the card held the right way round, it doesn't work. And the remaining balance flashes on and off so quickly that you need the eyes of an eagle to read it.

- It's confusing. On trams you just touch on but on trains you have to know to touch on and off. Any 'smart card' that has to come with a set of instructions for it's use (I wonder if they come in languages other than English?) can't be that 'smart'.

Melburnians have had a few years to get used to Myki so probably by now think it's simple. A bit like driving a car.

To a visitor who doesn't speak English and who is only in town for a very short time it could be near impossible.

Remember, not all visitors come onto TA and find out how to use the public transport system before they get here - nor should they have to.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,361 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday saver ticket

Eva, whilst I don't disagree with every thing you have said, I certainly don't agree either. It makes it difficult when the poster does not say when he/she is arriving in Melbourne. However, Metcard tickets can still be purchased (allbeit on trams and buses only) until 28 December 2012. So any user of public transport can still purchase Metcards until then.

The government has said that it intends to introduce a one off ticketing system on completion of Metcard. So we will see on that promise.

I would like to just respond to a couple of points. All trams are classified as zone 1. Therefore, it does not matter if the traveller touches or does not touch on or off. The fare will be calculated as a zone 1 single ticket.

The other point that I think should be made to people who are not familiar to Myki is that it is much cheaper to travel with a Myki card than Metcard. For example, the most common trip is an adult, zone 1. On a weekend, the cost under Metcard is $7.60. Where as under Myki it is $3.30. A saving of $4.30 for just 1 person.

Myki is not a perfect system. But it does have some good points that may effect tourists using it.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday saver ticket

Navy, good points. Just want to pick up on the zones comment though. Some trams do go into Zone 2 (eg in Box Hill) so if your trip is entirely within Zone 2 you need to touch off to get the cheaper fare. But yes, otherwise, don't bother touching off, it is unnecessary (and holds others up which can become annoying).

Melbourne
Level Contributor
453 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday saver ticket

Also visitors and tourists don't have to buy the visitors pack, they can just buy a Myki card for $6 and put funds on it. These are available at all train stations and I understand a lot of newsagents.

The problem with the tram and bus Metcards is that they are only for immediate use, so someone who needs to travel by train can't buy a Metcard any more.

8. Re: Sunday saver ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 10:19