We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where is best to stay in melbourne, st kilda or southbank

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
where is best to stay in melbourne, st kilda or southbank

Hi there!

We're traveling though oz And our first stop is in Melourne. We were wondering where would be the best place to stay?

We've heard St Kilda or Southbank are both good. We will be backpacking so cheap & no frills, but want stuff close by to be able to do.

Thanks

Bex

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where is best to stay in melbourne, st kilda or southbank

Depends what "to be able to do" means for you :) If you'd like beach walks and bars then St Kilda, if you want tourist attractions then Southbank (which is also walking distance to bars!) I'd choose Southbank over St Kilda, but others will prefer the opposite. If you are planning on doing things outside of the city centre then staying in St Kilda will mean having to travel in to go out again. If you are hiring a car overnight you will find it easier to park there though.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,202 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where is best to stay in melbourne, st kilda or southbank

What time of the year will you be here? If it is summer time, then I would recommend St Kilda, as the beach is near by. Otherwise I would recommend the city area. All three areas you mentioned are well supported by accommodation, transport, shops, cafes, restaurants and clubs.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where is best to stay in melbourne, st kilda or southbank

I vote Southbank as it is better located to the main tourist attractions. St Kilda beach itself is an inner city beach and in my opinion, it is not very nice. This beach is not indicative of the amazing beaches that Victoria (& Aust) has to offer.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where is best to stay in melbourne, st kilda or southbank

another vote for Southbank. You have all the best restaurants, cafes & shopping at your fingertips.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where is best to stay in melbourne, st kilda or southbank

If being near the beach is important then go for St Kilda. (don't expect too much of the beach - it's pretty ordinary as world beaches go. However, there is sand and water)

If you are young, want lots of pubs, live music and plenty of cheap eating options then St Kilda.

If not, go for Southbank.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: where is best to stay in melbourne, st kilda or southbank

thank you for all your comments we will be there the beginning of feb, and yes would like to be near the attractions and tourist sites but also near somewhere that offers nightlife. also if you could reccommend any good attractions or tourist sites i would much appreciate it thank you becky

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: where is best to stay in melbourne, st kilda or southbank

When you first arrive in Melbourne, put aside a day to do the free Melbourne tourist shuttle. Exactly the same concept as the hop on/hop off double decker tourist buses in London, stopping at all the key attractions.... but best news is that its free in Melbourne! The full loop on the bus takes about 1 hour and you can hop on/off as many times as you like.

This bus trip is good to not only get dropped off at some of the top tourist attractions, but also to help you become familiar with our city. The top attractions are The Botanic Gardens, Federation Square, The Royal Exhibition Building, Lygon STreet, Docklands, and the list goes on.

You can find more information on the Melbourne Tourist Shuttle by just googling it.

For more info, I would suggest you check out Melbourne's official tourist website www.thatsmelbourne.com.au

Can also recommend you going to the Tourist Information Centre at Federation Square when you arrive to get some ideas on what you want to see in our great city

Have a great time

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: where is best to stay in melbourne, st kilda or southbank

St Kilda for backpackers, Southbank for hotel lovers.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where is best to stay in melbourne, st kilda or southbank

Southbank is relatively close to South Melbourne which has a beach that is nicee than St Kilda beach. If you do want to head to St Kilda for a visit, you can walk from Southbank to Flinders St station (5 minute walk)and take a tram down Swanston St toward St Kilda. I cant remember what number tram goes directly to St Kilda, but trams run frequently anyway.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where is best to stay in melbourne, st kilda or southbank

I would recommend heading to Prahran for nightlife (20 minutes by tram from Southbank/cbd). It is easy to catch a cab back at night. Alternatively you may wish to go to Brunswick which is 20 minutes from the cbd also but in a eastern direction. Prahran is in the south east of the city.