We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"check-in.com.au" booking service

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
"check-in.com.au" booking service

Has anyone used this booking service before, I just want to check if anyone has had any problems with them. I haven't used them before.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,216 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "check-in.com.au" booking service

I use tonnes of third party bookers - but these days its mostly to check locations and compare rates - then I go straight to the hotels own site and generally find a cheaper deal and book direct with them.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
54 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "check-in.com.au" booking service

check out wego.com

It gives you an overview of the rates on all those kind of websites.

I personally have never used the one you have mentioned.

hotelclub.com currently has a 10% discount code which is DISCOUNT

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: "check-in.com.au" booking service

Do not use Check-in.com.au. Go straight to the Hotel. Generally get a cheaper rate direct. Also knowing first hand if u book with check-in and they advise that there is no refund due to cancellation or a night is lost for instance plus there $20 for admin, load of rubbish. I went direct to the hotel and advised that I needed to change the dates and it was not a problem. Easily find the # of hotels, so say leave these booking agents out. Check-in used to be enjoyable to deal with but now just after that $

4. Re: "check-in.com.au" booking service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 April 2013, 11:35
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "check-in.com.au" booking service

you will always pay some kind of booking fee or have more strict terms and conditions when using an 'online travel agent / website'.

Shop around then go direct to the hotel and they should always match the best rate. (I say 'match' not 'beat' as they have to be careful not to be seen trying to undercut the online travel agent websites that they partner with.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,655 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "check-in.com.au" booking service

Solid advice from ryanna.

Online agents do not work for the hotel, nor do they work for free. Cancellation and admin fees have always been the norm since their very first existence. It's not a recent thing.

You say you used to use CheckIn.com but no longer because of these fees. I'm going to guess you've never had to cancel before and that's why you weren't aware of the fees. They themselves probably have not changed.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "check-in.com.au" booking service

Always go direct. All online agents collect commission from the hotels. If u buy direct all your money will go directly back into that business. Super important if staying in small locally run accommodation providers I feel. Booking direct should generally be the best available rate too.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,655 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "check-in.com.au" booking service

>>>Always go direct. All online agents collect commission from the hotels. If u buy direct all your money will go directly back into that business. Super important if staying in small locally run accommodation providers I feel. Booking direct should generally be the best available rate too<<<

The sentiments are genuine but a little misguided.

Without the resource of online business, smaller properties would collapse in a very short period. Commissions are a very small price to pay, for the level of marketing and global exposure a 'small locally run' business could never afford.

Ulladulla
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: "check-in.com.au" booking service

As Motel operator I ask people not to use Check-in dot com for the simple fact that they are incompetent and hold suppliers to ransom with their false advertising and then fail to pay I am still waiting for money from them for bookings in March they have had this money since bookings were made so most of it since February.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,655 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "check-in.com.au" booking service

>>>As Motel operator I ask people not to use Check-in dot com for the simple fact that they are incompetent and hold suppliers to ransom with their false advertising and then fail to pay I am still waiting for money from them for bookings in March they have had this money since bookings were made so most of it since February<<<

How about you provide details of what and why, as opposed to making such sweeping statements? OTAs not paying their chargeback accounts usually have very good reason unless it was some gross oversight - which does not happen that frequently. You've given one example but no thought to reasons. Did you send off your remittance folio within the due date? Was there a complaint issued in regards to that reservation by the guest?

Edited: 21 May 2013, 03:54