We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne F1 grand prix with a toddler?

Auckland Central...
9 posts
Save Topic
Melbourne F1 grand prix with a toddler?

We are contemplating a trip to melbourne for the GP in 2013 along with our 17 month old child. Has anyone ever attended the GP with a child so young? Would GA or grandstand be best? Is it possible to navigate a stroller around the track? Any tips for accommodation?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne F1 grand prix with a toddler?

Do you really want your child to suffer permanent hearing loss? GP tickets come complete with earplugs. How are you going to make sure your toddler wears them and protects their ears?

My apartment is just under a km from the GP circuit and I can't stay at home on the day of the GP because the noise is unbearable.

Sorry to sound like a grouch, but IMO it's a totally inappropriate venue for such a young child.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,110 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne F1 grand prix with a toddler?

I have to say that I totally agree with evamelb on this issue. I attended the Canadian GP in Montreal last June and found that the shape of my ears would not retain the earplugs so they kept falling out. I now require hearing aids having almost instantaneously suffered near 25% hearing loss after that experience.

The F1 cars are putting out about 125 dB at 17,000 revs which is about the same as a jet engine at 50 metres.

Auckland Central...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne F1 grand prix with a toddler?

Thanks for your reply. I have been to races before but not for several years. We were thinking of ear defenders for the little one but realistically it my be more appropriate for my husband and I to alternate our time at the circuit.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne F1 grand prix with a toddler?

karen - as a motor racing nut who has been to GPs ( & Other m.r. events) all over the world, you will always see people with small children at them with the littlies wearing ear defenders. It is not against the law; the child will let you know if it hurts or if they refuse to wear them. If that is the case, then Yes, you are out of there. Why not try the little one and then alternate as necessary? It could be an expensive test as you may well end up with 2 tickets with only one used on the day but still... My personal experience with small children is, if they are interested in the cars at all, they have enough attention span for a practice session or Qualifying at a pinch but not for the whole race.

(I was going to say play it by ear but then thought better of it...:-) )

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,311 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne F1 grand prix with a toddler?

LOL Perthite.

GS grew up with noisy things, including F1 and aircraft. He was absolutely engrossed and he was perfectly happy with ear defenders. The internal rating made the noise less than traffic on a normal street less than 25db (Guru had access to a meter that had a little mic which we stuck inside at one stage to measure the aircraft noise impact) He has actually fallen asleep at a race.

We also used to add some extra styrene foam to the space which added extra protection.

Try the defenders at home while you actually watch a race with the TV on full tilt and you'll know how receptive your child is and whether they actually like motor racing. If they'll watch on TV then you are looking good,

Either way i would be going with a general admission and not a stand, that way you can at least have a walk around.

FWIW I reckon GS does more damage now to his ears. iPod, car radio etc!

Auckland Central...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne F1 grand prix with a toddler?

LOL @ perthite!

We're thinking of all going together on the friday with GA and bailing out if he doesnt tolerate it. Do you know which GA areas are generally least crowded?

Gurus- what age was your son at his first race?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,311 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne F1 grand prix with a toddler?

About 8 months we did air races First F1 style about 19 months.

Yep... feeding him at the track was a real laugh, there would be a pause as the cars went past, then a mouthful or two, pause,,,.

I will admit he is still an F1 car freak and will get up at all hours to watch, he also loves le Mans and Indy and......

If only i had realised the monster we were creating

8. Re: Melbourne F1 grand prix with a toddler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2013, 10:17