We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area of Melbourne to stay in?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
82 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Which area of Melbourne to stay in?

Hi guys,

I'll be in melb for 5 nights next month. We would like to stay somewhere with quick access to transport as we do not intend to drive. and also ideally the price per night is below 200A$

We intend to explore the city, restaurants, cafes, bars. Besides that the zoo, 1 or 2 cultural spots and we might take a day tour to philip island.

Taking all that into consideration, would you suggest we stay in Melbourne CBD, north or south melbourne, southbank or anywhere else?

Thanks much.

Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area of Melbourne to stay in?

Southbank or the CBD. Public transport is excellent to those areas and the city is compact and easily walkable. Many CBD and southbank hotels are serviced by the Skybus Shuttle bus too, depending on your time of arrival into MEL.

Look at one of the online booking sites like Wotif/NeeditNow/Hotels.com/Agoda etc and input your requirements re price, room configuration, number of guests etc. and see what comes up for your query.

Then contact the hotel direct to see if they will match the price. Saves on booking fees and makes changing/cancelling bookings easier.

You might want to think about apartment style hotels too if you are staying 5 nights.

Cheers!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area of Melbourne to stay in?

Another vote for Southbank and the CBD area.

Happy travels.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
82 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area of Melbourne to stay in?

Upon your suggestion, i went to agoda.. Only affordable hotel for me in Southbank is the travelodge. Everything else is too pricey.

Within CBD, does it matter which street my hotel is located? There's too many to chose from.. king street, bourke street, flinders, Collins, Elizabeth street... Of these streets, which are best for food and transport?

Thanks again.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area of Melbourne to stay in?

Travelodge is located in a prime location.

Have fun !!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
82 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area of Melbourne to stay in?

Within melb CBD, we are looking at flinder lane apartment, causeway 353 and city garden which i believe are inside cbd area.

slightly further out, we got to elizabeth street with jasper hotel, city edge, central sky lounge.

What do u think? Stick to those inside cbd area ? in case we dont get travelodge

thanks

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area of Melbourne to stay in?

The CBD of Melbourne is quite a small area, you can stay just outside it and still be very centrally located. Don't concern yourself with the boundaries too much. Anything on Elizabeth St would be fine, as would Southbank.

Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area of Melbourne to stay in?

Another vote for the CBD or Southbank.

However if you don't want to be 'in the middle of things' Albert park and middle park are beautiful areas, if you want to stay somewhere more vibrant I would recommend Carlton or St Kilda.

Toronto
Level Contributor
942 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area of Melbourne to stay in?

Guys,

I just put a room at the Hilton on the Park on hold. It's near the MCG. I wanted to be between St Kilda, fitzroy, collingwood, south Yarra and the CBD.

Am I going to find this to be a location a bit out of the way of everything, or is it a good area? It doesn't seem to be located in any PARTICULAR area, just in BETWEEN a bunch of areas...

Oh... And my rate was $155/night GOVT RATE. That's pretty good I think eh guys? To the OP: on the off chance you're an employee of a government, u may want to consider that as an option.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
82 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area of Melbourne to stay in?

Thank u BrawBlether :) I now feel more assured picking hotels on the boundaries.

Cheers!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
283 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which area of Melbourne to stay in?

Mark2000,

The Hilton is in a location that has good access to all the places you want to be near. Trams & trains just outside, also bridge road Richmond is just a walk up the road (shopping, some restaurants). It is located right on the edge of some gorgeous gardens so if parks do it for you it's perfect. But you're kind of right, it isn't smack bang in the middle of a vibrant happening street. Still, I'd day it's a good location for your needs and that rate is very good. Beware the rooms aren't huge, but fine.

Enjoy your trip.