We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1-day drive along Great Ocean Road?

Deerfield Beach
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Topic
1-day drive along Great Ocean Road?

I've read some previous posts, so I know that it's generally not recommended... but we really don't have a choice - we'll be in Melbourne 4 days, only 1 day free. So... a couple of questions:

- Worth it, or skip it?

- If we do go... how far should we push it before turning around?

- Return along the same road, or another alternate?

O.K., that was more than a couple... thx.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1-day drive along Great Ocean Road?

do a tour rather than DIY.

http://www.atwad.com.au/tour_gor.html

then u will see the whole thing without the stress of driving.

Toronto
Level Contributor
957 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1-day drive along Great Ocean Road?

Thanks for providing that link of the one day, small van tours. I am actually looking for something very similar, but do you know of any shorter options?

Their tours leave at about 8 AM and return at 9. I was hoping for something more like 9 AM to 7 PM. Kind of like what they are offering...but with really quick stops and meals.

Do you know of any other good options?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
223 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1-day drive along Great Ocean Road?

melbournetours.rtrk.com.au/…

But this doesn't do all the road, just the Port Campbell end. No tour or self-drive can do 9 to 7.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1-day drive along Great Ocean Road?

You don't have to include the 12 Apostles on a GOR tour, so you can leave that out which is sort of the second half of the trip. I would settle for the winding part of the GOR which would mean a day something like this;

Melbourne to Torquay. I will put starting time at 7am to avoid traffic but if you go later it will be much busier. 90mins.

Torquay for brekkie or morning tea. Check out the surf and back beaches there.

Torquay to Lorne will take a cruisey 2 hours with stops at Anglesea, Point Roadnight, start of the Great Ocean Road, etc. Lunch in Lorne.

Drive the winding part of the GOR which starts 10km before Lorne and goes to Apollo Bay. The road is all coastal and is very majestic. Passengers can get car sick though, so you might not want to go all the way to AB. I like the return trip from Skenes Creek which is about 10mins before you arrive at Apollo Bay.

Head home inland from Apollo Bay or Lorne and the drive home takes approx 2-3 hours.

Deerfield Beach
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1-day drive along Great Ocean Road?

thanks forthe responses. I would also prefer to take a tour, but... there are 4 of us, and already have access to a car, so the tour cost is a bit high for us.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1-day drive along Great Ocean Road?

Don't forget to stop in at wye river (20mins past Lorne heading Apollo bay way) for a beer at the rookery nook pub, the view from the balcony is spectacular!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,819 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1-day drive along Great Ocean Road?

Sorry Briargrove, if you were hoping for someone to okay your rushed itinerary I have to add my voice to the take a tour side. Every time I read in the news of another tourist accident (there was one somewhere just the other day, and there have been a few on the GOR) I wonder if it was someone who ignored advice because the geography just somehow 'had to' fit into their trip.

Marktwothousand, same comment applies re geography, but if you really want a really quick look I believe there are scenic flights available from Melbourne.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1-day drive along Great Ocean Road?

I have done the great ocean road many times and when I do day trips to show overseas visitors I take the motor way at about 6 am to the 12 Apostles and get there for breakfast around 9 am ( I'm a cautious driver) then slowly drive back to the CBD in reverse along the great ocean road. Peak hour traffic starts at 5 so it's either make it back before 4 with a quick lunch or after 7 slower pace. Husband and I generally share the driving or another Australian license holder drive for 90 minutes each with breaks. The keys is getting out before traffic in the morning.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1-day drive along Great Ocean Road?

I am concerned about your safety and ability to drive long distances, on windy, unfamiliar roads. Plus if you're from a country that drives on the opposite side as Australia, that is even worse.

The GOR is definitely worth a visit and if you do go, I'd have to suggest you follow the compressed tour that willnino has suggested. Although it would a be a shame to miss out on the 12 Apostles/Port Campbell...

Are you planning to return to Melb again? If not, do try to fit the all day tour.

@Mark - is there any reason why you want to be back by 7pm. Do you have another commitment?

10. Re: 1-day drive along Great Ocean Road?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2013, 14:20