We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather variability in Melbourne

Carlsbad, CA
Destination Expert
for Carlsbad
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
weather variability in Melbourne

I don't see this topic addressed in other posts about Melbourne weather so I thought I'd bring it up. I've started watching the Melbourne weather in anticipation of my eight-night visit beginning January 11. I am amazed at how the weather goes from the 90s to the 60s to the 80s to the 70s to the 90s from one day to the next.

What causes this extreme daily variability? I've never seen anything like this in the United States.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather variability in Melbourne

Basically, it boils down to wind directions and the weather that those winds bring with them. Melbourne's geographical location, on the South Eastern corner of a hot dry continent but whose closest southern neighbor is Antarctica makes it unique.

Two well worn sayings in Melbourne:

"If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes'

and

'Melbourne is renowned for having 4 seasons in one day"

I've experienced both snow and heat wave conditions on Xmas Day.

I've seen the temperature drop from the mid 40s to the low teens in the space of an hour.

If you visit, bring plenty of layers and be prepared for any and all weather conditions (it won't snow in the city).

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather variability in Melbourne

And that is why it's impossible to answer 'what will the weather be like?' questions. Summer is the season with most variation also.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather variability in Melbourne

In summer we generally have 3 or 4 days a week of warm weather then it cools down before getting hot again, during the drought it hardly cooled down at all. Its what I love about Melbourne its unpredictable.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather variability in Melbourne

Ah, my favourite subject, the weather! We have come out of a cycle of 3 years where we had much more rain than normal and below average summer temps to this year seeing a return to the more normal summer conditions.

Even though there are legends around about Melbourne weather, it is really quite predictable. Summer usually follows a pretty standard pattern, warm, warmer, very warm, hot and then cool change. When we get the cool change we do get the clash of hot northerly air meeting cooler southerlies from the Antarctic which makes for sudden drops in temps, occasional thunderstorms and then much cooler conditions the following day. Look at the next 5 days for example. Interesting thing is about Melbourne vs Victoria (north of the Great Divide) is that the north won't receive much or any of the cool change, so while we revel in a cool change after 40C heat, 2 hours north will remain just as hot.

Forecast for the rest of Tuesday

SummaryMax 31Shower or two developing.Chance of any rain: 40%Rainfall amount: 0 to 1 mm

Melbourne area

Partly cloudy. The chance of a thundery shower during the morning then fine until isolated showers develop during the evening. Winds westerly 15 to 25 km/h turning southwesterly 25 to 40 km/h in the early afternoon.

Wednesday 9 January

SummaryMin 13Max 20Morning shower or two.

Melbourne area

Isolated showers during the morning. Afternoon sunny periods. Winds southwesterly 25 to 35 km/h.

Thursday 10 January

SummaryMin 13Max 28Becoming sunny.

Melbourne area

Mostly sunny. Light winds.

Friday 11 January

SummaryMin 18Max 37Possible late shower.

Melbourne area

Partly cloudy. The chance of showers during the afternoon and evening. Winds north to northwesterly 20 to 30 km/h shifting cooler south to southwesterly during the afternoon.

Saturday 12 January

SummaryMin 18Max 25Possible morning shower.

Melbourne area

Partly cloudy. The chance of showers during the morning. Winds south to southwesterly and light increasing to 15 to 25 km/h during the day.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather variability in Melbourne

If we are to believe the extended forecast for January, we look to be having a great weather pattern for the tennis and Australia Day with the cycles not getting too hot, temps ranging from low 20's to high 20s/low 30's.

Won't take this as gospel as the high temp sides of the cycle can easily jump from low 30's to high 30's but if it is right it looks to be a great January coming up.

accuweather.com/en/…26216

Level Contributor
13 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather variability in Melbourne

after a couple of hot days (35c up) you really appreciate the big drop in temps. It helps you to recover from the heat and keep going. Especially if we have had an overnight temp in the 20's.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weather variability in Melbourne

Melbourne's weather is completely mad. One day we roast and get no sleep, the next we're rummaging around for a jacket and boots.

When it's really hot, you feel like your eyebrows are being singed off. When the wind blows from the south, you feel like you're being cut in half.

No matter what season, you'd want to bring a pair of jeans, a sweater and a water/wind proof jacket.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weather variability in Melbourne

Sorry to butt in, but I am plannign a trip to Australia in July and I am from India.

The Reef, Sydeny and Melbourne are on my agenda. Do you think July is a good idea? WIll I be losing out on any good experienceslike the scuba diving at the reef or sel fdrive alogn GOR because fo the weather?

Please advise.

Thanks!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: weather variability in Melbourne

Sin23, it's better to start your own thread to get specifics as this thread is about Melbourne weather in summer. You will be here in winter & going to Queensland, so a different topic.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: weather variability in Melbourne

July is good for visiting the Reef. Not stinger season and low rainfall. Will probably be about 24-28 oC and low humidity.

Melbourne will be chilly (10-16oC) but you can still see all the sights. Sydney not as cold as Melbourne in July but probably won't be above 18oC.

Maybe spend more time in North Queensland and bypass Melbourne?