We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What hotel and where to stay in Melbourne

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What hotel and where to stay in Melbourne

Hey guys

Me and my girlfriend are doing a lot of traveling, and we are wondering the best place to stay in Melbourne, and if anyone has any good hotels in mind. Were traveling so we are on a budget, but would like a nice hotel. Were there are plenty of bars and stuff to do?

I would appreciate any help

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What hotel and where to stay in Melbourne

what is your budget eg youth hostel or 3 star hotel. Try the Ibis or Travelodge

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What hotel and where to stay in Melbourne

Either stay in the city or at docklands -

You budget is vry dependant :)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What hotel and where to stay in Melbourne

We prefer to stay in a hotel, rather than hostel. were only planning to stay 5 nights, so i do want to be close to the beach and bars and restaurants.

ive been looking at the docklands, CBD, or st kilda? are these the main places?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What hotel and where to stay in Melbourne

I would recommend CBD or St.Kilda, but definitely not the Docklands as there is nothing to do there and very quiet.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,042 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What hotel and where to stay in Melbourne

Definately the CBD or St Kilda are good options. As well as Southbank, but not the Docklands, as it does not fill your requirements.

You still have not told us your budget, and also what time of the year are you coming here?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What hotel and where to stay in Melbourne

Sorry i i forgot to put more details on.

We will be arriving in melbourne on the 5th November in the morning, after travelling around thailand and singapore. So we will be tired and looking for a niceish hotel to freshin up, chill and go out and have a good few drinks for 5 days while am there haha. Before we set off for New Zealand.

We have been looking at prices already maybe £500 would be ok but a little bit over or under would be considered too. We will have a lot of spends but want to get most of our accomodation sorted while were here in the uk

Thanks guys for your help so far

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What hotel and where to stay in Melbourne

That is Melbourne Cup week so will be the busiest and most expensive week to try and get accom in Melb.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,042 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What hotel and where to stay in Melbourne

Let me re-iterate what millsie has said. The first week in November is the biggest sporting event in Melbourne - the Melbourne cup (horse race). Most accommodation will cost more than normal and will be harder to find. However, if you get in early you should be fine - just don't leave it to the last moment to book.

But under no way am I suggesting don't come then. Melbourne will be alive with activity during that week. There will be many tourists and the city is a great place to be.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What hotel and where to stay in Melbourne

ok great thanks for the heads up, ill get booking it now then.

Cant wait!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What hotel and where to stay in Melbourne

Look at oaks hotels as well Oakes on market was really quite good when I stayed in town last year. For luxury Hilton south warf is stunning