We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Melbourne's domestic airport to Wilsons Prom

Bozeman, Montana
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Melbourne's domestic airport to Wilsons Prom

What's the most direct way to get from the domestic terminal at Tullamarine to Wilson's Prom? I don't land 'til 2:20 pm and I'd like to get there before dark (with a stop at a supermarket along the way). I don't much care about the tolls.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,563 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Melbourne's domestic airport to Wilsons Prom

The most direct way would be through the city using the freeways. What day of the week? If it's a work day, you might strike heavy traffic once you hit the M1, but it should clear up as you get out of the city. You will need to pay tolls.

You will drive through Cranbourne & that's where I'd stop for the supermarket.

What time of year? If it's during not daylight saving, you probably won't get there before dark.

Bozeman, Montana
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Melbourne's domestic airport to Wilsons Prom

Sorry, got distracted and don't know if I replied or not. We'll be arriving on a Sunday, 24 March. In searching out supermarkets we found one in Leongatha, and it looks as if we'd be driving right past it on our way to Yanakie. Are we likely to see the market as we drive through Cranbourne? We are vegans so we need a market with a good selection of soy and other plant-based products. Thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,563 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Melbourne's domestic airport to Wilsons Prom

Leongatha is a smaller town, so not sure if the supermarket will be open later on a Sunday. Check the opening hours. Also look at Korumburra, though once again, not sure how late it will be open.

The reason I suggested Cranbourne is that it is a bigger town so the supermarket will have more selections. I think there's a couple of shopping centres on the main road, but I've never paid much attention as I haven't needed to stop at them. I'm pretty sure there's a Coles on the right as you drive through the actual centre of the town.

Traffic wise you should have no problems getting through Melbourne, unless there's roadworks or an accident.

Bozeman, Montana
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Melbourne's domestic airport to Wilsons Prom

Thanks, I'll check the hours for the Coles in Cranbourne and the Woolworths in Leongatha. I've printed out Google directions to get me from the airport to the Prom. The map I bought from the RACV isn't very helpful as it doesn't show all the roads, so I'm assuming everything is well signed and if I just follow my Google directions I won't have a problem. From Wilsons Prom I'm visiting friends in Barwon Heads, hopefully exploring the Mornington Peninsula en route to the Queenscliff ferry. From Barwon Heads it's a slow and exploratory drive down the GOR to Port Campbell, backtracking for a few hikes over the next several days, then on to Melbourne where we'll turn in the car and enjoy the city for several days before heading home to the USA. Should be a good 3 weeks. Thanks for your help. Any other suggestions/comments are appreciated.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Melbourne's domestic airport to Wilsons Prom

March is still daylight savings and it wont start getting dark much before 8pm.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,563 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Melbourne's domestic airport to Wilsons Prom

It sounds like a great holiday, you have allowed plenty of time to enjoy it :)

There are some good foodie places down around Leongatha & Meenyin, I have relatives down that way. You might like to check out http://www.moosatmeeniyan.com.au/ for coffee or a meal. They use a lot of local produce, so I'm sure they can help you with vegan options.

One thing to be aware of re the ferry is that you may not be covered by insurance for any damage, depending on the T&C's of the car rental company. The chances of damage are minimal though.

You might also find this trip report useful as the OP was vegan as well:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255100-i278-k5…

South Gippsland
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Melbourne's domestic airport to Wilsons Prom

I live in Yanakie..... directions: Leaving the airport take the Tullamarine Fwy, then Westgate Fwy. Go through the tunnels, towards the South-Eastern suburbs. Follow the M1 out of Melbourne and go through Cranbourne. At Lang Lang, turn left towards Leongatha. Follow this until you get to Leongatha where there is a right hand turn, then immediate left at a round about, follow again to Meeniyan where you will turn right, follow again to Fish Creek turn right just after the town. Once the road comes to a t-intersection, turn right again and you are now 9km from Yanakie. Most of the turns are sign posted with “Wilsons Prom” or one of the towns mentioned above.

The Coles at Leongatha is your last chance for a big supermarket. Meeniyan has a small IGA.

Ellenwillow is right about Moo's at Meeniyan, they serve fantastic local produce meals. Also, Aherns Fruit Market in Foster sells great fresh produce and some specialty vegan foods, they are not open Sundays, but worth a drive into Foster on Monday.

It should take you about 2.5-3 hours from the airport to Yanakie, if you drive at the speed limit and you will need to pay toll roads (E-tag only, no toll booths)

8. Re: Travel from Melbourne's domestic airport to Wilsons Prom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2014, 07:16