We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight snow experience in June

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
987 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight snow experience in June

Hello all. We are looking at the possible idea of an overnight stay in one of the snowfields. We won't have a car so will depend on a bus taking us up and back from Melbourne. We are not skiers just want to experience some snow after a hot summer in Perth.

Are there any tour companies that would cater for us ? Prefer a location close to Melbourne and budget - mid range accomodation costs. Any ideas ? Thanks, Ken.

Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight snow experience in June

The ski season in Victoria desn't start till the Queen's Birthday holiday and there may not be snow then (usually second Monday in June). The later you leave it in June the better. School holidays are from 28th June to 15th July this year. Prices will be higher on opening weekend and in the school holidays.

Mt Buller would be your best bet as BawBaw and Lake Mountain are less likely to have much snow then.

You can look on mtbuller.com.au/Listings/…Coach

or google mt buller tours to find one that suits your budget and timetable.

Mt Buller is 3 hours drive from Melbourne, so it's an early start. I have never found skiing to be a cheap exercise.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight snow experience in June

June, although the start of the ski season does not always have much snow, some resorts have snow making facilities though so skiing can be extended. There are three major ski resorts that people flock to - and thus they have snow making.

Mt Buller

Mt Hotham

Falls Creek

There are other places to ski near Melbourne but I would rule these out as you cannot guarantee snow in June

Mt Buller is probably your best option as it is closest to Melbourne (3 hours) whereas Hotham and Falls are 5 hours.

Do NOT go to Buller on the weekend. It is full of people being closest to Melbourne. Go mid week for the night or two... it is also cheaper to stay mid week

The cheapest accommodation on Buller is a Youth Hostel. I have never stayed there, and this website says they are rebuilding so the place would be brand spanking new. Book now as I believe they get booked out quickly …yha.com.au/hostels/…

There is a bus line that takes you from the centre of Melbourne right up to the resort. http://www.mmbl.com.au/winter_service.html

If you are going all the way to the snow you should at least attempt skiing one day. Buller has beginner packages which include ski and gear hire, a beginners lesson and limited range lift ticket. Buller is very well set up for absolute beginners giving it a go as they flock there by the bus load on weekends !

Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight snow experience in June

hI,

can i ask will you recommend lake mountain for family with 3 kids just for snow making fun for the kids?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
987 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight snow experience in June

Thanks to both of you for your replies. We will study all possibilities to Mt Buller.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight snow experience in June

Hi KH Q

Lake Mountain based just past Marysville is totally the best mountain for families who have kids and just want to play in the snow for the day.

It is the closest mountain to the city and has a couple of toboggan runs, a kiosk, change rooms (for wet kids after the play), and lots of soft snow under trees to make snow men. It is an easy day trip from Melbourne.

As it is not a very high mountain it can have no snow at all if the winter is mild. It would be best to plan a visit there in August For a day out with kids it is the easiest place to take them

www.lakemountainresort.com.au

Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight snow experience in June

Hi Dragonprincess,

ive booked my visit to Melbourne from 1-10June. so will you still suggest the lake mountain ?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,499 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight snow experience in June

KH Q, the Snow Season doesn't open until the long weekend, which I think is around the 8th of June. We don't often have a lot of snow before then & the main mountains use the snow making machines if it's cold enough. It's unlikely there will be snow at Lake Mountain early June, but you never know. Occasionally there is an early start to the season, but I wouldn't plan around it. Perhaps plan a couple of days in Healesville, you can visit the Sanctuary & if there is a little bit of snow, you can go up to Lake Mountain as well.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight snow experience in June

Although the ski season officially opens on the 10th June if there is snow you can still drive up and play. Unfortunately it is not likely that there will be snow at Lake Mountain in early June. If your trip here is conditional on visiting the snow then you may have to check out other resorts to take the kids. Check out all the victorian ski fields at www.vicsnowreport.com.au

Two other places close to Melbourne are Mt Baw Baw and Donna Buang however as these mountains are not that high either they can also have no snow that early

Mt Buller, Falls Creek and Mt Hotham all have snow making, but it is a long trip to take if you just want to play with the kids.

Keep your eye on the weather before you get here and while you are here. We can get quite strong cold snaps that can bring cold wet windy snowy weather from the Antarctic (brrrr) and cause ski resorts to open for business early.

Lets all hope so, as I got some new ski gear from christmas that I am waiting to try out!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight snow experience in June

Lake Mountain in June: as others have pointed out, it is unlikely to be snow at Lake Mountain in June but if there happens to be a good dump of snow, then please take note and head to the mountain EARLY.

If you are going to be there on a weekend, you will need to be at Lake Mountain BY 9am as many day trippers visit for the day. The mountain is usually full by 11am. If you miss entering the mountain in the morning, then you 'may' be able to get in at 2pm when the morning visitors have left the mountain.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnight snow experience in June

We will be in Melbourne from 20-23 of June and than plan to drive from Melbourne to Sydney from 23 onward to continue our short holiday in Sydney till 27th. Can you suggest any resort or homestay which we might spend a night without actually skiing. I have read that there are over 7 skiing area in Melbourne while 2 in Sydney! Mt Buller is fine but the distance to Sydney is more than 7 hrs?? any ideas?? thanks