We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Topic
itinerary

My kids are both living in Melbourne, ages 22 and 26, I am going to visit them in late March. I have 5 days booked in Torquay from the 23-29th. I leave for home, Seattle on the 11th of April. I am really struggling with what to do with my two available weeks. Do I go to Tasmania or head to Sydney and up the coast. I like big city stuff but I am probably more interested in wildlife, parks, beaches etc. As an aside I am a total foodie so that is also something I am considering while making my plans. Any suggestions from those of you who know Australia well?

marta

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary

I am sure others will make many suggestions, but in making your plans, you'll need to take into account that Easter is from Good Friday on 29 March until Monday 1 April. The roads will be very busy then, and airline and accommodation bookings are best made in advance.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary

After big city Melbourne (and the best food city in Aust), and a quieter Torquay stay, i reckon Tassie would be ideal.....lot of farm gate food places statewide. Plus wildlife, parks and the countries best beaches (ok 2nd best as I make that claim for nthn NSW as well), though 'in the water' beach weather is probably about over (even up the coast). You could cover a lot of Tasmania in 2 weeks and without long drives every day....it is more of something different around most every corner, as against lot more same, same type long drives to see the just as scenic different coastal landscape. Or the need to venture inland, or off the highay to the coast for the better parks on the going north from Sydney. The Pacific Hway north of Sydney rarely sees the water - most coastal towns are quite a distance off hway.

Edited: 24 February 2013, 04:18
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,854 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary

Hi,

With two weeks why not do both - Sydney & Tasmania ??

5 days - Sydney - 6 days - Tasmania. - will give you enough time to see Tasmania.

http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/

For additional info on Hobart

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20250-Getting_…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary

Yes, a friend that has been many times mentioned that to me. I will have to keep that in mind as I firm up my plans.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary

Thanks, I am kind of leaning in that direction. Was considering going over on the Ferry and then flying back. Wouldn't be able to spend the whole two weeks there as I want to be able to spend some time in Melbourne too. But a week at least.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary

Didn't quite get how this works, my first reply was too the person that mentioned Easter. I will consider this in my plans.

7. Re: itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 05:17