We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cook in or Eat out in Melbourne?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Cook in or Eat out in Melbourne?

Would you be able to help me please? I will be traveling with 2 of my other friends to Melbourne. We cannot decide if we should get the 1 bedroom apartment or just the room with their standard beds. The difference would be with the apartment they have kitchenette while the standard room only have beds?

Thing is, I am not sure if we can cook dishes with the kitchenette provided. I only see in pictures that they have microwaves and fridge. Do they have stove or something? We are considering Ibis Melbourne Hotel located at Therry Street. Would you think it will be more cost savings if we cook in for our meals or are we able to get cheap food nearby since it is located at Victoria Market?

Looking forward to hearing from you! :D Really appreciate your kind advice

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cook in or Eat out in Melbourne?

If you rent an apartment with a kitchen it will have a cook top and oven and basic kitchen utensils like pots, pans, dishes and cutlery. With 2 children being able to cook your own breakfast and lunch would save a lot. Since one of the best things about Melbourne is the quality and variety of its restaurants I wouldn't recommend eating in every night.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,191 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cook in or Eat out in Melbourne?

Ibis as mentioned is only a microwave great for a reheat but not a cooktop from memory

(Eva, where does it mention kids?) I took it to be 3 adults >:)

Edited: 02 April 2013, 02:43
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cook in or Eat out in Melbourne?

Melbourne is a mecca for good food, even if on a budget. What is the maximum you are prepared to spend if you go out for dinner? If we know, then we can steer you to some great cheap places near your hotel and it will save you cooking (or if you get sick of cooking) Happy travels

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cook in or Eat out in Melbourne?

Hi Linda,

Personally I hate cooking on holiday! However, I also really enjoy buying some nice ingredients like cheeses, nuts, fresh fruit, smoked salmon etc and a nice bottle of wine and eating at home in the evening. You will be able to do this where ever you stay in Melbourne for a reasonable price especially if you check out the deli section at the Victoria Market. You may go back home a few kilos heavier though!

Enjoy your stay!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cook in or Eat out in Melbourne?

Hehe, Yeah Eva there are 3 adults ;)

And thanks for the advice everyone! I do notice that they only have microwave and not a stove for cooking.. so probably will decide to eat out instead and try the delicious food Melbourne has to offer!

Peter, hmm my budget is quite tight on meals, probably about $12 per meal or lower? We really don't mind those cheap places so long there is no pork and the food taste good. I heard Chinatown offers quite affordable prices for food, is that true? And any specific nice food I should look out for within the Victoria Market? :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,403 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cook in or Eat out in Melbourne?

yep ..you will be fine at Chinatown. I recommend trying Hu Tong in Market Lane for dumplings - book in advance, it's very popular.

I was going to recommend a bratwurst sausage at the Victoria Market..very popular with the shoppers. But I am not sure if there are non-pork varieties there..these reviews suggest there are lots of varieties in terms of what meat they use, and one person mentions a 'place around the corner'

urbanspoon.com/r/…Bratwurst-Shop-Co-Melbourne

There's lots of other options too. It will be a great place to visit and you'll be able to get something at a deli you can heat up in the microwave for a 'night in'

Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cook in or Eat out in Melbourne?

Hi.

I'm looking for cheap food options (no pork too!) around Melbourne. I always frequent the Old Town Cafe at QV the last time I was there as it's quite cheap but this time I would want to try other places. How is the price like at Nando's?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,403 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cook in or Eat out in Melbourne?

Urban Spoon is a good website that lists restaurants/cafes/coffee shops etc in Melbourne.

Once you choose your area, you'll get other filters to pick your price and/or type/s of cuisines.

urbanspoon.com/c/…Melbourne-restaurants.html

Once you've found some specific places, you could ask here if you need to know what people here think of them.

For example a search on 'CBD', 'Asian eats' and 'CHEAP' brought up ~100 places on the list!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cook in or Eat out in Melbourne?

wow good stuff! thanks so much for your help! :D

Oz
Level Contributor
12,504 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cook in or Eat out in Melbourne?

Hi,

IMHO one of the main attractions of Melbourne is the restaurant scene. Visiting Melbourne and not availing yourselves of the fantastic dining opportunities would be like visiting Sydney and not taking a ferry trip or visiting NZ and not seeing Fiordland.

Cheers,