We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrival after 11 pm options

Brisbane, Qld
Level Contributor
187 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Arrival after 11 pm options

3 of us have a late evening flight into Melbourne airport tomorrow. After reading all posts, including taxi fares reputed to be around $66-70 or $80 if we get ripped off, decided cheapest option is Skybus rather than a cab since runs 24 hours. Fine but would like to catch tram to hotel from Spencer St as a couple of routes go nearby and run til 1am on Friday night. Now need to confirm I have this right-no more paper tix so 1) have to buy $14 Myki each even though will not use it again entire weekend and go to Melbourne rarely. 2) At that time of night and flying into Terminal 4 I suspect we haven't a hope of getting said Myki easily anyway. No time to buy online and have it "sent" to me-SO we walk or we catch a cab from Spencer St (which is surely cheaper than 3 x $14 even at that time of night) -right? (only have carry-on so walking isn't a big deal). If we walk what is the safest route to the top end of Little Bourke St given I am estimating it will be around midnight? and if we cabbed from Spencer St station what do the experts expect we would have to pay. Thanks everyone. Obviously need an answer before tomorrow evening.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arrival after 11 pm options

If you do your math

3*17 (one way skybus fare) = 51

+

3*6 (cost of myki (card only)) =18

+

3* whatever the tram ride to your hotel cost

you probably will find that you are saving a dollar each. Plus the joy of lugging your suitcase around. IMO, get a taxi, which will deliver you straight to your hotel. BTW, taxi fare calculator shows me about $50, give or take. $90 was my fare from airport to east bentleigh via Brighton, which is about twice the distance to CBD.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Arrival after 11 pm options

1. Yes, $14. But surely you will use it to get back to Spencer St

2. You can buy them at the Skybus counter at the airport

The top end of Little Bourke St is a long, long walk. I would not recommend it.

At that time of night I would just take a cab. My last few cab rides have not been more than $60 each way.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,024 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arrival after 11 pm options

Taxi...absolutely....tram is not a viable option given the ridiculous Myki system

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arrival after 11 pm options

Cab from the airport to Southbank is within a couple of $$s of $65 - I do it every week and it never varies unless there's horrible traffic - which there won't be late in the evening.

Should be the same into the city.

I'm not sure how a cab driver could rack up $80 - I suppose it has happened but it would be very rare.

That's less than $25 each - less than your Skybus + tram fare and a lot less hassle.

Brisbane, Qld
Level Contributor
187 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arrival after 11 pm options

Thanks-taxi calculator says $50 but posts from range of sites (not just TA) say by time add in 20% after midnight loading and toll fees it creeps up more like high $60's. Glad to hear from 2 of you more like $60-$65. Walk is only a bit over 2km so to be honest a doddle for us and have done before, and we will do for return. Think will decide on arrival on whether we return Skybus ($28x3)+cab from Spencer St-$10-15-ish I guess based on Bris prices for similar distance (and walk back to Spencer on Sunday)=total $99ish or cab from airport $65ish and one way Skybus Sun ($17x3)=total $116. Not much between them. But would still be interested in knowing (given we walk most places) if there are any streets at night we should be cautious in in the CBD, other than usual commonsense.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arrival after 11 pm options

If you are walking from Southern Cross station to the top end of Little Bourke St, then your best option is to walk up Bourke St from Spencer St. Little Bourke runs parallel with Bourke, but does not have the pedestrain numbers. Or alternatively, walk up Bourke St to Swanston St, turn left to Little Bourke St and then walk through Chinatown to your hotel. This route will be very busy with people.

Brisbane, Qld
Level Contributor
187 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arrival after 11 pm options

Just to post back that we had a great weekend in Melbourne. Caught the Skybus return for 3 of us and despite flight delays so arrived getting close to 1am, it was only a 20 min easy walk to our hotel-yes we went via Bourke St and then cut through Chinatown up Little Bourke and yes, found lots of people and heavy police presence on the streets so felt perfectly safe (as I expected tbh we would). Caught the free tram some of the time but also did a lot of wandering which we like as you discover so much more. Also walked back after the MSO Sat night up Collins this time. Had a brilliant yum cha with friends Sat lunch at Dynasty in Chinatown and really liked staying this end of town rather than closer to the river or over past Fitzroy Gardens as we have previous trips. Took a slow walk back to Spencer St station Sun am, including a stop for a great breaky. Thanks as always for the advice. For the benefit of others who may read this, if you had lots of luggage including pull-alongs, I would cab it or if you weren't walkers then it might seem too far but for others with light carry ons, backpackers etc, it really was no big deal.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arrival after 11 pm options

Gecko, thanks for getting back and letting us know how you went. I am often in Chinatown late at night and it can be a very busy area.

9. Re: Arrival after 11 pm options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 05:15