We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shopping in melbourne

Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
shopping in melbourne

Can anyone suggest where are the best places to go for bargain shopping - seconds shops, factory outlets etc close to melbourne city. Would love to shop at Collings st but my wallet wont allow that!! I am staying at Albert Park. Also which markets to go to for clothes, knick knacks etc on the Sunday. I am only there for 3 days so time is of the essence!!

Thanks

Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shopping in melbourne

Hi.

You can head down to the DFOs. The nearest to the city is South Wharf DFO. It's at docklands. This outlet is small as compared to the other DFO at Essendon. But the latter outlet is not quite close to the city.

Melbourne has a few markets.

You can check out Camberwell market. They do sell vintage/second hand items. However, it closes at 12.30.

You can also visit the Esplanade market at St Kilda. It closes at 5.

Hope this helps a little :)

Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shopping in melbourne

Thanks. What is the Queen Victoria markets like? Or is it mainly for tourists? What about the South Melbourne markets? Is the Camberwell markets on Sundays?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
81 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shopping in melbourne

You could try Bridge Road and Swan Street in Richmond, a 15 minute tram ride from Flinders St Station, or one station along by train. These streets have many outlets of very good labels. You can pick up many a good bargain there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shopping in melbourne

Queen Vic market is great for food and cheap souvenirs, but IMHO the clothing/shoes, etc there leave a lot to be desired - lots of cheap tshirts, windcheaters, etc and plenty of cheap 'knock-offs'. You aren't likely to find any hand crafted items or designer labels. It depends what you're after - it's OK if you're looking for cheap clothes for teenagers for example.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shopping in melbourne

The DFOs are fine but you could be anywhere - I'm sure you have visited the DFOs in your own city and they won't be much different. The suggestions below will give you more of a Melbourne experience...

Rose St Markets in Fitzroy are open on a Sunday. Lots of locally made art, jewellery, clothes and some great other shops in Fitzroy close by too. Try Brunswick St for boutiques and specialty stores (varying price ranges) and Smith St for vintage, outlets, and second hard. Lots of nice cafes around for coffee/lunch breaks.

Bridge Rd in Richmond is known for the outlets and also has a lot of cafes and restaurants.

Queen Vic Markets and South Melb Markets are predominantly fresh food markets - not good for clothes shopping.

Camberwell market is open on Sundays but only til around midday, and often the best stuff is gone by 9am. It's worth a trip if you like second-hand and vintage shopping, but go early. Camberwell is a bit further out from the city than the other places I have suggested so might be less convenient.

6. Re: shopping in melbourne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 07:16