We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hop on Hop off Bus at Melbourne?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kathmandu
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hop on Hop off Bus at Melbourne?

Is hop on hop off bus available in Melbourne for sightseeing and visiting top attractions of the city in short time? If available, is it good option? If not, then what is the better (of course inexpensive also) option to see attractions of Melbourne?

Docklands Melbourne
Level Contributor
144 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hop on Hop off Bus at Melbourne?

The new double decker bus while it costs a bit.....it now has a much further extended route around Melbourne..including the Zoo...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hop on Hop off Bus at Melbourne?

Melbourne is a very flat city so you could easily walk to many places in the CBD area, assuming you are fit and able.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,832 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hop on Hop off Bus at Melbourne?

The stops for the commercial HOHO bus are

1. Art Centre

2. Cathedral Pl,

3. Melbourne Cricket Ground

4. St. Patricks Cathedral

5. Exhibition – Lt Collins

6. Museum

7. Lygon St

8. Melbourne University

9. Victoria Market

10. Harbour Town

11. Docklands Stadium

12. Hyatt Hotel

13. Federation Square

14. Shrine of Remembrance

All of these places are accessible either by the free City Circle Tram or the almost Free Tourist Shuttle bus ($5/24 hr)

Why would anyone pay $36.50 fr a 24 hour ticket on the HOHO bus?

Edited: 30 September 2013, 01:05
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hop on Hop off Bus at Melbourne?

Adding to Eva's post, the below places on the commercial HOHO bus can be easily walked to (*assuming a normal level of health & fitness)

Art Centre, St. Patricks Cathedral,Exhibition – Lt Collins, Museum, Victoria Market, Hyatt Hotel & Federation Square

Hope this helps.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hop on Hop off Bus at Melbourne?

Just a heads up that the original question was posted back in April, so the OP may not need more advice. However, I'll weigh in on the discussion about the HOHO bus & agree that I don't see why anyone would pay that amount of money for something they could do much cheaper or by walking. But that's the way I travel, I've never done a HOHO tour, preferring to walk or use public transport when visiting new places.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hop on Hop off Bus at Melbourne?

The Melbourne visitor shuttle bus is no longer a free service. As mentioned earlier, an AUD $5 charge will apply from tomorrow- 1 October. Kids under 10 travel free & tickets can be purchased at ticket machines at the bus stops(coin or credit card only) or at the Melbourne Visitor Centre at Federation Square.

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
17. Re: Hop on Hop off Bus at Melbourne?

Thanks to all of you for the useful information, as I am planning a trip to Melbourne in June and July.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Hop on Hop off Bus at Melbourne?

We bought a voucher for this service and would definitely NOT recommend it to anyone. The fumes in the bus were so bad we ended up with stinging eyes, headaches and nausea and had to get off the bus. Not only that, the driver missed some stops to make up time and then was annoyed when passengers asked to be let off. We didn't know about the city circle tram or the $5 tourist shuttle until we got into town and were very disappointed that we had spent money for this terrible service.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
367 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Hop on Hop off Bus at Melbourne?

The buses used are very modern. Not sure why you had such problems with fumes. Might have been a problem with that particular bus only?

suburb of...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Hop on Hop off Bus at Melbourne?

Have used this double decker bus service in almost every city I've visited. This has to be the worst, by far. Had brochure and went to the designated stop on the brochure to find no street sign then walked to a second stop, no street signs either. Went back to hotel and they confirmed there may not be a sign as to where to stand for these buses. All other cities have these signs. WASTE OF TIME AND ENERGY. Maybe they can't compete with the free service offered by the city. If i could give this service any stars, it would be a negative 5.