We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Game Day

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Game Day

Hi,all.Am coming down to Melbourne this weekend,and although I have seen numerous AFL games at Etihad,never been to the G.Am staying basically opposite Southern Cross Station but was wondering which is the easiest way of getting there and back.......tram or train?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,189 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Game Day

If you are staying opp Sthn Cross Stn you will be able to see the stadium looming over the top. No need for transport - easy stroll.

Sorry editing to say I misread ! What is G.Am ? I might be missing something !

Edited: 07 May 2013, 11:10
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
398 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Game Day

Train or tram will be fine. If the weather is nice, it is a fairly easy 30 minute walk.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Game Day

The G......was suppose to have been a full stop with the fact im staying opp SCS.do they put on special trams etc to the footy?its a night game as well....hawks v swans

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Game Day

I think the OP means ' "The G." Am staying basically...' The MCG.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Game Day

Depends where you are sitting at the 'G'.

For the AFL members/Southern Stand side of the ground...Train from southern Cross towards the Eastern Suburbs...Glen Waverley, Belgrave or Lilydale...there are others, the staff at the station will help you...get off at Richmond and follow the crowds...it's about a 5 minute walk.

If you are in the Olympic or MCG Members stand...take a train towards hurstridge, South Morang, Eltham...and get off at Jolimont Station....Again, follow the crowds :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,189 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Game Day

Lol typos and tiny iPhone screens are not a good mix ! I was racking my brain trying to think of stadiums that had had recent name changes !!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
510 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Game Day

You can catch a Tram also not sure what number it is or if you have to walk down to Flinders St to get it or maybe on Spencer St

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
813 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Game Day

Without knowing where you are sitting, the simplest way there is to catch the 75 tram from Spencer St.

That will drop you off at the Hilton Hotel on Wellington Parade.

If you know where you are sitting, then I can maybe tell you some better options.

Perth
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Game Day

Just get the tram... its quick and easy to walk around the ground if you have to.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Game Day

Thanks all..yeah just ask when there,as i advise for visitors here to Sydney,but am in then Ponsford Stand non the less.Cheers again