We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in Melbourne - May 2013

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Topic
7 days in Melbourne - May 2013

Hello good peeps,

I am visiting Melbourne on 17 May and have planned the following activities. I will be travelling with an infant and 3 adults.

Would like your comments on the proposed itienary please? Also wondering if there is any "must-go" place which I am missing..... Coming over for the first time :)

Welcome to Melbourne!

Day 1:

• Federation square and sight see cbd

• Old prison tour

Day 2:

• Ballarat & Sovereign hill

Day 3:

• St kilder Beach à sky diving

• Victoria Market

Day 4:

• Great Ocean Road Trip à Helicopter Ride

Day 5:

Phillip Island

Day 6:

• Blue Dandenong, Puffing Billy, Yarra Valley & Healesville Santuary

Day 7:

• Free & Easy

Day 8:

Home Sweet Home

Melbourne
Level Contributor
11 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in Melbourne - May 2013

Looks very organised to me! Very difficult to explore our CBD without a guide becoz our best stuff is hidden!

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in Melbourne - May 2013

Appreciate the response :)

Do you mind sharing some of the "hidden treasures" around CBD? Will be staying in hotel at CBD anyway so I dont mind walking.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,568 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in Melbourne - May 2013

17th May - thats tomorrow!! Looking at your itinerary, I think you will struggle with day 6. Doing the Dandenongs, Puffing Billy, Yarra Valley & Healesville Santuary, all in one day may be too much - especially with an infant. I would suggest concentrating on Puffing Billy and or Healesville Sanctuary and not the Yarra Valley.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,352 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days in Melbourne - May 2013

I hope you're not driving the GOR yourselves.

Agree Day 6 looks too much.

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days in Melbourne - May 2013

Well, all set for the flight later.

Agree with you guys that day 6 seemed quite packed. I was thinking of signing up a day tour at Federation Square so that I don't need to drive to GOR.

Hope you guys can share even more about the stuff to explore in CBD. Thanks!

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
47 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days in Melbourne - May 2013

Go to brunetti for cake and coffee after going lygon street for dinner (try doc resturant), grampians for 2 days or so would have been a nice trip- but it's 3 hours from melbourne - you could do it after ballarat and stay up there.

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 days in Melbourne - May 2013

Thanks Lucia. Will definitely try to squeeze in Grampians :)

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,522 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 days in Melbourne - May 2013

Check out one of the cafes in Hardware Lane - very Melbourne.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 days in Melbourne - May 2013

Definitely agree on Hardware Lane, Hardware Societe is one of my favourite brunch cafes ever!! However you would have to get there early as there is always a line.

I love Degraves st and Hardware lane. The little alley-way cafes are indeed hidden but are one of the best things about Melbourne in my opinion. You could also have walk through the Royal Arcade which is close to Degraves St. anyway. :)

On day 1 I would also head to Southbank/Crown which is a short walk from Flinders St Station and Fed Square. There is also The Royal Botanical Gardens which is close to that too, if weather is nice. (Southbank looks lovely at night by the way).

You could probably spend half the day at Healesville Sanctuary. Also you can choose to meet one of the animals with Healesville's "Magic Moments". I did this earlier this year because I wanted to see the baby wombats. :) We spent 10 minutes and there is a fee but it was a unique experience if you like animals. :)

10. Re: 7 days in Melbourne - May 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2014, 06:19