We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mantra Lorne

Lund, Sweden
Level Contributor
38 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Mantra Lorne

Hi

Going to Australia in mid November to Mantra Lorne, Mountjoy Parade, Lorne, VIC 3232.

What are the usual weather conditions then? What interesting things are there to see not to far away? (I will surely try to see some of the more remote sights like Ayers rock and the Great Barrier reef anyhow but thet is another story.) Any particular dangerous species to look out for?

Best Regards

Anders

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mantra Lorne

My question is why are you going there if you don't know what there is to see? How much research have you done?

Lund, Sweden
Level Contributor
38 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mantra Lorne

Well i will be going there for a conference and yeah so far i have not been doing any research. This is the embryo of that.

Thanks

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mantra Lorne

Well Lorne is on the Great Ocean Road - one of Australia's tourist icons. I guess you realise Ayers Rock - which is properly known as Uluru - and the Great Barrier Reef are both thousands of kms from Lorne and would require you to fly there from Melbourne.

Lund, Sweden
Level Contributor
38 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mantra Lorne

Hi

Yes i am well aware of the distance so that will be a pre or post work project. What i am looking for here is more local activities or sights or events.

Anders

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mantra Lorne

Well surely your conference organisers have given you some information about that.

As I say The Great Ocean Road is a tourist icon. Why don't you Google that. And how can we advise you if we don't know what you are interested in, how much time you have etc

As for dangerous species - what on earth do you mean?? Lorne is a high end tourist town - NOT the wilds of Africa.

November will be spring - but Lorne is on the southern coast and can be cool at any time of year.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mantra Lorne

Hi answede: this site should give you some ideas.

GOR region: visitvictoria.com/Regions/Great-Ocean-Road.a…

Lorne: http://www.visitgreatoceanroad.org.au/lorne

Edited: 16 May 2013, 11:00
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,837 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mantra Lorne

It crossed my mind that perhaps you have given us the address because you want "local activities or sights or events" within walking distance? I am wondering if you appreciate just how small the town you are going to is. I must admit I too would have thought the conference organisers would provide you with some information. If you would like some suggestions from us it would really help if you would not leave us to guess things. Will you have your own transport? How much free time will you have? What is your idea of not too far away? What are your interests, or is there anything you specifically do not enjoy? I would have said start with the official Great Ocean Road tourism website but now that you have explained your presence in Lorne will be for the purpose of a conference I'm not clear on whether you have the time or the inclination to explore the GOR further or if you are simply asking what else is there to do in Lorne?

Lund, Sweden
Level Contributor
38 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mantra Lorne

Thank you all.

I admit being a bit unspecified. What i want is activities manageable in 1-2 days with Lorne as the starting point. Nature experiences is a favorite. I will get a car. During the conference not much time so spare but before and after it is possible to find time. Is Tasmania a place worth to visit? If so what is a must see there?

And Nozzie: by dangerous species i meant things like scorpions and snakes.

Best Regards

Anders

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,461 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mantra Lorne

Watch out for the drop bears :)

Seriously snakes are about in the bush around Lorne, but you are highly unlikely to encounter one. Really nothing to worry about.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,837 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mantra Lorne

A couple of days, nature experiences, then the GOR would certainly suit you. Check out the links PeterWellington1234 gave you.

Tasmania is well worth visiting for nature. There's lots of good info in the Top Questions on the Tasmania forum. Port Arthur and Cradle Mountain are the two iconic destinations but they are far enough apart that it can be difficult to include both in a short visit. The shortest visit could be fly into Hobart or Launceston and see a little of the surrounding region. Slightly longer could be fly into one and fly out of the other. Longer again and you could do the whole circuit. See the suggested itineraries in the Top Questions.