We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Melbourne

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
536 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Melbourne

we will be having a one day stop in Melbourne on a cruise (arriving around 7.00am and departing around 6.00pm). , I was wondering what there is to do and see in Melbourne city with a child of 7 years.

thank you in advance

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Melbourne

Have a look at the Top Questions about Melbourne on the right hand side of the page, especially "what can I do in Melbourne" and " I'm traveling with young children".

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Melbourne

Also, what time of the year will you be here? Will it be beach weather or cooler months. There is always plenty to see at Federation Square. Closer to your visit, look at ACMI (located at Fed Sq) and see what's on.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
211 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Melbourne

Ride the city circle tourist tram around the city, it's free and lets you know about all the local attractions near each stop.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
536 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Melbourne

thanks everyone, we will be there in January, My oldest is going to go and watch the tennis for the day with some friends (who we are travelling with), but the 7 yr old wouldn't want to sit around and do that, so we want to try and find some stuff to do with him. I'll check out ACMI closer to the time, and will definately go on the tram he would like that. I'll also check out the top questions... thanks again.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
211 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Melbourne

if your at the tennis centre the MCG is across the park and has a great sports museum.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Melbourne

Melbourne Zoo - if you haven't seen some of our native wildlife

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,823 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Melbourne

kman Kat is from Brisbane - what exactly do you think there is at Melb Zoo native-wise that she wont have seen !!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in Melbourne

You could visit Scienceworks as this might suit a 7 year old. It's an interactive Science Museum with lots of 'hands on' activities and displays.

You can get to Scienceworks by public transport. You might even want to do a ferry trip but you might be sick of being on the water.

http://museumvictoria.com.au/scienceworks/

Edited: 27 June 2013, 11:18
9. Re: One day in Melbourne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 05:16