We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne & surrounds - Self drive itinerary

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne & surrounds - Self drive itinerary

Hi,

We are arriving in Melbourne on 27th Nov ’13 for a 6D6N trip. We are a couple with a 4 year old son. Would appreciate if I can get feedback & tips on the itinerary below. It is our first time in Australia.

Day 1: Arrive in the morning around 8am. Pick up car & drive to Belgrave for a ride in the Puffing Billy. In the evening, drive to Phillip Island. Night at Comfort Resort Kaloha.

Day 2: Panny’s Chocolate factory, Koala Conservation Centre, Churchill Island, Nobbies & the Penguin Parade. A Maze'N Things only if time permits.

Day 3: Check out & leave for Mornington Peninsula. Moonlit Sanctury Wildlife, Strawberry farm & Ashcombe Maze & Lavendar Gardens. Admiral Motor Inn for the night.

Day 4: Take passenger car ferry to Queenscliff & start driving along the Great Ocean Road. Aireys Inlet, Lorne, stop at Apollo Bay for lunch. Continue onwards to Loch Ard Gorge, the Arch, the Blowhole and London Bridge. Spend the night at Comfort Inn Western.

Day 5: Back to Melbourne via Ballarat. Should we spend the night in CBD or outside?

Day 6: Day at ease in Melbourne.

Day 7: Leave for Sydney by 12 noon flight.

Is the above doable? Any other sights/must do things that I should add or anything to exclude? Thanks in advance for your help!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne & surrounds - Self drive itinerary

Nice plan! I think it is quite doable, you might be a little tired, but hey! Cram in what you can I say!

Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne & surrounds - Self drive itinerary

I would definitely spend the night in the CBD. It will give you a better chance to see some of Melbourne.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne & surrounds - Self drive itinerary

Thx HaydnAustralia & kateoz!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne & surrounds - Self drive itinerary

Re: GOR - if you have time, I would suggest that you stop off for short tour of one of the lighthouses along the GOR. We recently toured the Split Point lighthouse at Airey's Inlet and the views from the top of the lighthouse were simply magnificent. It was a great experience to be able to visit a real, working lighthouse

Split Point lighthouse @ Airey's Inlet - http://splitpointlighthouse.com.au/

Cape Otway lighthouse @ Cape Otway - http://www.lightstation.com/

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne & surrounds - Self drive itinerary

Thanks Peter, will add that in!

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne & surrounds - Self drive itinerary

Hi as others have stated its very do-able. I live on the peninsula, the moonlit gardens are nice. I would also seriously consider if you can Seawinds, a garden/park around the corner pretty well from Arthur's Seat lookout, in fact bypass that lookout entirely as the view of Port Phillip Bay from Seawinds is spectacular (free too). If you go there at dusk (watch the sign for closing time-there is a gate) all the Roos come out from the nearby area to graze in the grounds. Have seen 20-30 at a time. We always take overseas visitors there, they love it.

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne & surrounds - Self drive itinerary

Hi, i have 7 days end of Feb and i'm thinking of this route

Day 1 : Mornington

Day 2 : Dandenong

Day 3 : Phillip Island (The Island Accomodation)

Day 4 : Phillip Island (The Island Accomodation)

Day 5 : Wilson's Prom

Day 6 : Yarra Valley

Day 7 : Melbourne CBD

any suggestions on which days I should stay a night more?

and accomodation as well. as im travelling solo, trying to keep costs down ($50 under)

Edited: 10 February 2014, 01:17
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,244 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne & surrounds - Self drive itinerary

Hi Spencer A and welcome to the forum. Please start your own thread by clicking on the yellow *Ask a question* button, otherwise YOUR question might get overlooked while people erroneously continue to reply to the OP (original poster) and the poor OP will continue to get email notifications about this thread for a holiday they have already been on.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
282 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne & surrounds - Self drive itinerary

One thing you may/may not be aware of is a city link/east link pass.it maybe an added cost to your hire car

10. Re: Melbourne & surrounds - Self drive itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 05:20