We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Melbourne

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping in Melbourne

I will be visiting Melbourne end August and am on a tight budget. Can someone tell me where the best places are to shop for clothes at bargain prices?

Degraves Street
Neighbourhoods, Flea & Street Markets
South Melbourne Market
Flea & Street Markets, Shopping Malls
Melbourne Central
Neighbourhoods, Shopping Malls
Prahran Market
Flea & Street Markets, Farmers Markets
Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Melbourne

Hi,

Shopping in Australia is not going to be cheap compared to sites in Asia.

What sort of clothes did you have in mind?

Cheers,

UF

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
281 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Melbourne

Try DFO (e.g. South Wharf or Essendon)

If you spend more than $300 on a bill you can claim GST on the way out (within 30 days of purchase)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Melbourne

Just to advise, the clothes in Australia are Western sized so you may not find shopping suitable if you are a smallish, Asian sized man. However, having said that, Direclty Factory Oulets (DFO) might be useful to you as they are tend to stock only the leftover sizes, which are generally size XS , S. But I think your shopping experiences will be mainly determined by the exchange rate.

Hope you find some good bargains anyway.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Melbourne

@Peter - "But I think your shopping experiences will be mainly determined by the exchange rate.", I really could not argue with this statement......very true!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Melbourne

In Sri Lankan terms you won't find any clothes at bargain prices even with the falling AUD.

Enjoy what Australia has to offer in terms of environment, sightseeing, fresh food and great wine and leave the shopping for another country. Even Australians are turning to online shopping in their droves because things are so expensive here.

6. Re: Shopping in Melbourne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 07:19