We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne in October 2013

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne in October 2013

I am in the process of planning my Melbourne + days trips in this October. Have been reading tripadvisor forum, hwz forum, other forum and few websites, but not yet book any air ticket or accommodation (still got 2 more months, should be on time right?). Here’s my enquiries, would appreciate if you all can help to answer. Thanks so much! :)

Will make it a 7days trip… Day trip to Philip Island, Day trip to Great Ocean Road, Day trip to Mornington Peninsula

(not going for puffing billy, etc)

1) I have shortlisted the places that I wish to go or visit for the other 4 days, how to plan my itineraries so that it will not become too tourist thing, yet have a bit of local feel? I know many pple will say 2 days are enough, but I have always wanted to go Australia since years ago, so many places i wish to go and also hope to take it in a slow pace.

- Shopping

(Brunwick St in Fitzroy, David Jones @ Bourke Street Mall, Swan Street, DFO @ Southbank, Melbourne Central)

- See see look look / walk walk

(QVM, Brighton Beach, Acland Street, Chinatown, South Melbourne Market, Fitzroy Gardens, The Shrine of Remembrance, Royal Botanic Gardens, Eureka Tower, Paris end of Collin St, State Library of Victoria, Block Arcade, Yarra River, Healesville Sanctuary, Fed Square (to book day tours) and Flinders Street Station (for live entertainment).

Will take the free tram and shuttle buses for some of the places.

2) How does Myki functions? Still got differentiate zone 1 & 2? I know it is not as user-friendly as Metcard.

3) Anyone stay in Park Avenue Accommodation Group (Melbourne City Serviced Apartment), this apartment location seems good and got promotion price, but cannot find any review online. Not interested in other hotels that forums recommended, because I read their reviews not that good.

4) Any festival / event in October? Is it the peak period?

5) After clear customs, which way should we go to buy the skybus tickets? We have 3 persons, so I think skybus is cheaper than taking taxi, correct me if I am wrong.

6) Which supermarket to go in the CBD area? I like going their supermarket when traveling, got a lot of local foods stuffs to buy!

7) Helicopter ride how much? If I remember correctly, it’s around 5-10mins only, quite ex, but don’t know the exact amount.

8) Need to pre-book the day tours? Scared no vacancy if book when I reached Melbourne itself.

9) Which market to go if only can choose 2? All seems good. QVM, South Melbourne or Pranhan?

10) If wanted to get close to kangaroo & take photo with koala bear, which place to go? Wilson Prom or Healesville Sancturay?

11) Mornington Peninsula (Lavender garden) already bloom in October? Wish to see lavender!

12) I saw on the TV, got people take horse-carriage, anyone can provide more information or try before?

Sorry for asking so many questions and thanks for the patience for spending the time to provide your help. Your help is greatly appreciated! ^.^

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne in October 2013

(1) There is is no real entertainment at Flinders st station (what exactly were you thinking of?) Mabye you are thinking of the Southgate precinct which is right next door, over the river? Flinders st station is not the safest place to hang around at night so be aware.

Also, fyi, Healesville Sanctuary is a day trip.

Re: shopping. List looks good but Swan st & DFO are the same types of shops. Swan st is ok if you prefer to shopping along a street Vs DFO which is shopping inside a complex. Personally, I think there is more range at DFO these days but you might like the vibe of Richmond.

(4) Festival / event in October? see this site, called That's Melbourne. www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/Pages/Home.aspx

(6) There is a real supermarket (not a 7-11 type convenience store) called Coles. On the corner of Flinders and Elizabeth st. They sell fruit & meat too at relatively normal, local prices. There are other supermarkets but I don't know where your hotel is?

(7)To save you time, maybe try a balloon ride over Melbourne instead of helicopter? Balloon rides start at 5am or something and give you get breakfast etc.

(9) As a tourist, I'd check out the OVM (a bit touristy but you are a tourist right) or the South Melb Market (more for locals) The Prahran market is just nothing special. I think South Melb market is in a much nicer area than Prahran market.

(10) Wilson's prom is very far away from Melbourne and IF you see any kangaroos there, they are in the wild and you won't be able to get up close to them. Getting there would also be difficult. I LOVE Wilson's Prom but I would suggest Healesville sanctuary for your photographic needs, or possibly the Melbourne Zoo if you don't have time to travel.

(12) The horse drawn carriages are located along Swanston St walk, very close to Flinders st station. It looks like a lot of fun but I haven't been on them so I can't comment.

Looks like you have a jam packed schedule - lots of fun to be had in beautiful Melbourne. Have a great trip!

Edited: 17 August 2013, 08:00
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
403 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne in October 2013

MotoGP on in October at Phillip Island. If your not interested in the GP I'd check the dates & make sure your trip doesn't coincide as the island is extremely busy

Singapore
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne in October 2013

Hihi Peter,

(1) Oic, because i read from this forum tht there's live entertainment at Flinders st station. Ok, i will take note of the safety there. So where can i find live entertainment?

I am only going to Healesville Sanctuary, not adding puffing billy or Dandenong Ranges, why is this a day trip? Is it very far?

(7) Eh, i did think before, but kind of scary to try balloon ride, like no protection. How much is it? Duration?

Lastly, any recommendation to do at nite, since the shops close early.

Thank you!

Singapore
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne in October 2013

Hihi Tabatha,

I am thinking of 1st or 2nd week of October.

Thank you!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne in October 2013

(1) From Melbourne CBD to Healesville is about an hour by car.

See this site for info on routes and travel times: visitvictoria.com/Information/Route-planner.…

(7) I haven't been ballooning over Melbourne, only over the Grampians. Sorry, I can't recommend any companies but other travelers might be able to .

*Re: things to do after 6pm: see this trip advisor site for some hints & the That's Melbourne site link I previously gave you. You can also read the 'Frequently Asked Questions' on this site - top right hand side of this page for extra hints.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255100-i278-k6… Things_to_do_after_6pm_in_Melbourne-Melbourne_Victoria.html

Phillip Island MotoGP Race (motorbikes) is on 18-20 October 2013. As Tabitha said, try to avoid PI during this time as it's peak time.

Edited: 18 August 2013, 10:54
Singapore
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne in October 2013

Hi Peter,

1) I forgot to mention i am not driving (can't drive), so will be day tours and use the public transportation.

2) Healesville Sanctuary confirm can see kangaroo and take photo with koala bear rite?

I really hope to see koala bear and take photo with it! Can i go there by public transportation?

Ok, thanks for the link and date mentioned. :) Currently, i am still reading this forum till January 2013, so never see there's this thread "Things to do after 6pm in Melbourne?".

Edited: 18 August 2013, 12:50
Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne in October 2013

Hi,

You cannot hold a koala in Victoria's zoos. You can pay extra for a magic moments experience at Healesville zoo. They are not bears.

zoo.org.au/healesville/…magic-moments

The Ashcombe maze and lavender farm have different types of lavender and there will be some varieties in flower in October. It may not be as spectacular as in Summer, but it is a very extensive complex with many roses also.

Singapore
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne in October 2013

Hi Unclefey,

Nope, i am not going to hold the koala, jus can see it closely and take photo together with the cute koala will do. Can i go there by public transportation? Because i think by joining a day tour to Healesville Sanctuary is not worth it, because they sure mix with other places.

Do you mean it depend on whether we can see lavender in October itself?

Thank u! :)

Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne in October 2013

Hi,

Yes, you can see the native animals up close and have a photo taken with them. The link I posted above gives details of how to do this. You have to pay extra AND pre book.

zoo.org.au/healesville/…getting-here

This link explains how to get there by public transport. I have never made the trip on public transport, but it is about an hour to Lilydale on the train and probably another half hour to Healesville depending on connections. You will need to buy a MYKI card and put sufficient money on it to get you out there for each traveller.

There will be some lavender bushes in flower in October, but not all of them.

Singapore
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melbourne in October 2013

Hi Unclefey,

Thanks for the link.

Train to Lilydale: catch a train from the Melbourne city centre to Lilydale Railway Station, travelling on the Lilydale line.

1) Should i take railway train or the normal train for this route? It sounds far.

2) Myki card can be used?

Actually, i am still confused after reading the difference btw train and tram in this forum.

3) Which one provides inner city (shorter distance), which one is out of Melbourne CBD (longer distance)?

4) For the places i want to go, i can just use the free tram and free bus + walking right? Except the Healesville.

Thanks!