We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early breakfast in Cbd

Perth
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Early breakfast in Cbd

We are getting into Melbourne CBD at approx 7am, just wondering if anyone has recommendations for a cafe that serves decent egg & bacon kind of breakfast? We are staying near Lonsdale and Spring St.

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early breakfast in Cbd

Hi,

On a weekday or weekend?

The European at 161 Spring St is open from 7.30. Not cheap, but nice.

There shouldn't be much trouble finding bacon and eggs in cafes in Melbourne. If you go to Urbanspoon.com and put Melbourne CBD in and refine the cuisine to Breakfast it will bring up a list and a map so you can find something close to where you are staying.

Cheers,

UF

Perth
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early breakfast in Cbd

Thanks UF,I did check out urbanspoon problem was there were too many options! I read through a lot of the reviews, posted here hoping someone would give me the inside tip ;)

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early breakfast in Cbd

Not really at the Spring St end often but Degraves St is full of good brekkie places that open around 7.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,657 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early breakfast in Cbd

I agree with both Unclefey and Eva. How are you getting to that end of the city? The European is a great cafe and serves very good food. But if you are coming from Southern Cross station, then you will need to pass Degraves St and it is well worth the stop for breakfast.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early breakfast in Cbd

Head down the laneways eg Degraves and surrounds and find yourself a seat. So many to choose from and will even be busy at that time of the morning. Drop your bags first and walk back as not that far.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
127 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early breakfast in Cbd

The north-east corner of the CBD near Lonsdale & Spring isn't the most cafe-laden part of Melbourne, but it is Melbourne so there's no real shortage of great places. Cafes I'd recommend for a 7am breakfast (you may find me there before a day in the office with Telstra!) include:

- Piadina (slow food) at the northern end of Punch Lane between Little Bourke and Lonsdale and just east of Exhibition; walk down Lonsdale and turn into the last lane on the left before Exhibition (before the car park)

- A couple of cafes in Madame Brussells Lane, off Little Lonsdale; walk half way down from Spring towards Exhibition;

- And several others all frequented by the early starters. Walk down Bourke, for example, and you'll find several on the left including the Mess Club and on the left, Pelligrini's.

Enjoy your breakie!

Gary @ Melbourne Australia

Perth
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early breakfast in Cbd

Thank u all for ur suggestions,much appreciated

Melbourne
Level Contributor
127 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early breakfast in Cbd

You're welcome, and I meant "Pellegrini's on the right". But you'll find it :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,228 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Early breakfast in Cbd

Great article on best Melbourne breakies this week;

heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/melbourne8217…

10. Re: Early breakfast in Cbd

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 06:21