We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Rail Link?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
24,069 posts
1,845 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Rail Link?

Discussion again of a Melbourne and Avalon rail link. A MUST in my opinion!

heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/melbourne-air…

Tommo

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Rail Link?

Definitely a must, sadly no one wants to pay for it. Just like a second Sydney airport, second Brisbane runway etc. Infrastructre that will take many years to complete yet no one is willing to commit. Many other countries see the need and just get on with it and construct these vital links.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,674 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Rail Link?

Every government talks about it, but we never see any action on it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Rail Link?

for anyone coming in from the north eg albury, Wangaratta on the train, hope off at Broadmeadows station and within 10 minutes a bus will be there and included in your ticket is the ride to the airport. I was heading to Adelaide a couple of weeks ago and a friend told me of this service. Seamless and effortless and there was about 30 people got off the country train and onto the bus. A local station attendant meets the train and directs the passengers to where to catch the bus. All this for $30 why would you drive to Melbourne and park your car.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Rail Link?

promises promises promises for many a year. They say it is not feasible. they spend millions on consultancy and yet not decision.

Take half of the freeway and utilise that! Yes it will need some planning and thought but it is achievable.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Rail Link?

Have we forgotten that Citilink and the Kennett Government signed a very nice sweetheart deal that states, among other things, that if the Government >>introduces new roads or public transport services that have a detrimental effect on Citylink's financial performance.<< we (that's us folks, the taxpayers) will have to financially compensate them (Citilink). Ain't gonna happen till after 2032 when the contract expires. Kenneth's long legacy to the people of Victoria is a very large car park once called the Tullamarine freeway.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
223 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Rail Link?

I really don't see what the problem is with Skybus. A train won't be any cheaper (look at Sydney's airport train) or faster and you still end up in the same place, a railway station. You will still have to get transfer transport to your hotel or home (and pay for it, Skybus has a free hotel shuttle). Plus the bus pulls up right outside the terminal (how far will you be walking to the train?) and it's really no harder to get on and off with luggage. What's the problem? Is it just because buses seem a bit second rate and trains are somehow more acceptable for people who don't normally do public transport?

Edited: 30 August 2013, 02:46
Queensland
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Rail Link?

I do tend to agree with penguin, the SkyBus service is very good and reliable and very frequent. But as the traffic conditions worsen your travel time can be affected. A train service would appeal to more people and the idea is to reduce the amount of traffic on the freeway however as has been mentioned it won't happen in my life time. Funny how rail/tram networks were constructed in Melbourne continuously from before 1919 yet in todays time we can't seem to get organised and build one rail link. But I guess back then there was vision and foresight and a can do attitude.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
902 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Rail Link?

It just wont happen as there are many options in the market now, and the Citylink deal has stitched things up too. The Skybus does a better service than a train could.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
223 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Rail Link?

Andy I heard an interesting comment recently about the difference between 'developed' countries and 'developing'. Delhi has just built an excellent undergound metro on time and under budget. And I live in a 1960's housing area 5kms from Melbourne CBD with only buses that stop at 8pm and there's one an hour on Sundays until 5pm. It's pathetic.

10. Re: Airport Rail Link?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2014, 05:17