We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Days Plan in Melbourne

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bangkok, Thailand
7 posts
Save Topic
7 Days Plan in Melbourne

My wife & I plan to visit Melbourne from 17-23 Nov. Below is our draft plan. Appreciate comments and suggestions.

17/11 Sun, touch down at MEL airport at 8:55 am after an 8 hours overnight flight.

Try to check in hotel at Travelodge Southbank in the morning if possible or just leave the luggage with the reception.

Visit Federation Square to get some free maps & info.

After lunch, join the 3 hours I'm free MEL City Walk at 2:30pm.

Then explore Southbank area.

18/11 Mon Join the Great Ocean Road Day Tour by ATWAD.

19/11 Tue Join the Phillip Island Day Tour by Bunyip Tours

20/11 Wed Join the Puffing Blly Healesville Sanctuary Tour by AATKings

21/11 Thur Join the Mornington Peninsular Ultimate Tour by Bunyi Tours

22/11 Fri Visit MEL Aquarium & Eureka Skydeck 88 with the FREE pass by Bunyi Tours.

Then explore MEL city by FREE tourist trams.

23/11 Sat Check out from Hotel. We have 2 choices: we can fly out of MEL either at 3:30pm, which will give us half a day in MEL to explore or fly out at 00:45 am on 24/11 Sun, which will give us an extra full day in MEL. Which choice do you think is better?

Some other questions:

Are we taking too many day tours? Are they similar and will we be seeing almost the same wildlife animals on these tours? (although we are nature & animal lovers!)

Is it safe to walk around MEL City at night?

Any interesting things worth doing at MEL after 6pm?

Thank you.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 12:21
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Days Plan in Melbourne

See my post on 2.5 days in Melbourne. It might help you.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Days Plan in Melbourne

There are a couple of good travel agents one in Bourke Street number 190 ish Bourke Street and one in Swanston Street short to little Bourke Street Chinatown. Both Asian.

many Asian restaurants in Swanston Street and Chinatown

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Days Plan in Melbourne

Re: Q: are we taking too many day tours?

It does not appear so as the tours are different regions but I'm unsure of the Mornington Peninsular as this is another beach area and you already have a few beach visits, e.g. GOR = beach, Phillip Island = beach, animals + penguins) Can you explain what you will be seeing or doing on the Mornington Peninsula tour and then we can check if you're doubling up on visiting beaches. Unless you love beaches?

Re: Phillip Island (PI) If you're only going to PI for the penguins only, then you can opt for an evening tour as that's when the penguins come out. But if you actually want to see and experience the island, then a full day is great. What will you be doing on the island? If you are going to see the koala conservatory, the wildlife park etc, then you will be doubling up and the trip to Healvesville would be better and a 1/2 day or evening trip to Phillip Island for the penguins will be enough. PI does have the Churchill Farm though

Re: what to after 6pm. See this link in TA with exactly the same question

tripadvisor.com.au/…50906403

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,512 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Days Plan in Melbourne

Peter's comments re the tours are what I was thinking also. The Little Penguin Bus does afternoon tours just for the penguin parade. The GOR is a very long day & you won't return to Melbourne until quite late, so you might appreciate a more relaxing morning the next day.

Can you list what is on the itinerary for the Mornington Peninsula?

Bangkok, Thailand
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Days Plan in Melbourne

Thanks everyone for your reply.

For 1 Day Mornington Peninsula Ultimate Tour, we choose the Point Nepean National Park + Highlights($145)

bunyiptours.com/mornington-peninsula/ultimat…

Edited: 31 August 2013, 14:04
Bangkok, Thailand
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Days Plan in Melbourne

Sorry, the link doesn't seem to work, so I cut and paste their itinerary as follows:

Point Nepean National Park + Highlights below ($149)

HIGHLIGHTS

Experience the stunning Point Nepean National Park right at the tip of the Peninsula

Marvel at the breathtaking bay views, stroll along the beach & be impressed by famous bathing boxes

Witness the dramatic bay & coastal views at Arthurs Seat’s famous Murray’s Lookout

Explore the famous strawberry fields of Sunny Ridge strawberry farm, spoil yourself & pick your own (Nov – April)

Visit The Cups Estate Winery & enjoy a gourmet tapas lunch and complimentary wine tasting!

Experience Mornington Peninsula Chocolates indulge in these sumptuous hand made delights in the picturesque seaside township of Flinders

Cellar Door tasting at one of Mornington Peninsula's small boutique wineries

Lose yourself at the Ashcombe Maze & Lavender Gardens, experience the oldest & most famous hedge maze in Australia

Edited: 31 August 2013, 14:11
Bangkok, Thailand
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Days Plan in Melbourne

Below are the HIGHLIGHTS of the 1 Day Phillip Island Penguin Parade Ultimate Eco Tour by Bunyip Tours

Experience the magic of ‘Moonlit Sanctuary’ Wildlife Conservation Park and see wombats, koalas, kangaroos, dingoes and much more! Opportunity for close Koala encounter

Churchill Island Explore this historic landmark and see sheep shearing and working dogs in action

Visit the Koala Conservation Centre

Cape Woolamai surf beach, get sand between your toes (time permitting)

See the Nobbies and Seal Rocks

Watch the behaviour of seals from the FREE camera viewing point!

Watch the Penguin Parade show at dusk.

Any comment on this?

Shall we do this or just the Penguin Direct?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 Days Plan in Melbourne

Re: 1 Day Phillip Island Tour by Bunyip Tours.

>>Experience the magic of ‘Moonlit Sanctuary’ Wildlife Conservation Park and see wombats, koalas, kangaroos, dingoes and much more! Opportunity for close Koala encounter>>

You will already see these animals (& more at Healvesville)

<<Churchill Island Explore this historic landmark and see sheep shearing and working dogs in action>>

This is definitely one item that is not on your list, a visit to a farm or similar. Not sure if this is a priority for you? If it is , there are closer farms for to visit.

<<Visit the Koala Conservation Centre>>

You will see these at Healvesville sanctuary

<<Cape Woolamai surf beach, get sand between your toes (time permitting>>

*Beautiful surf beach but you're already going to the GOR and possibly Mornington Peninsula so....

<<See the Nobbies and Seal Rocks>>

*the seal colony is not on your itinerary but you can only see the seals on the rocks from a telescope (not worth it) IF you are a seal lover, then you would need to take a ferry tour from Phillip Island that takes you closer to see them.

<<Watch the Penguin Parade show at dusk>> A definite "MUST DO"

So, in summary, if I was you, I would do only the evening penguins tour. Don't get me wrong, I love Phillip Island and we visit every year for our Summer holidays but for your needs, you don't need the whole day there. What I would suggest is to spend the extra time on the GOR. I would do a 2 day tour there with an overnight stay so you can really enjoy the beauty of the region)

Hope this helps!

Edited: 01 September 2013, 01:03
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 Days Plan in Melbourne

Re: Mornington Peninsula tour

The tour looks fine but I'm just wondering, which part(s) of the tour do you really like? I'm just thinking that the Mornington region is another beach region. Perhaps you might want to consider doing a day tour of the Yarra Valley region? The Yarra Valley region the countryside with views of farms etc. You can certainly do a winery tour and maybe the fruit picking (pls check)

See this link to give you an idea: visitmelbourne.com/Regions/Yarra-Valley-and-…

Re: Mornington famous bathing boxes.If it is your priority to see bathing boxes, you can also see them at Brighton Beach, much closer to the Melb CBD & free. Go by tram. These boxes are actually the famous one (possibly the original ones?) www.brightonbathingbox.org.au/index.html

Re:Ashcombe Maze & Lavender Gardens - can't comment on this maze as I have not been .

If the Yarra Valley region doesn't interest you, then the Mornington Peninsula tour seems fine as you get to see quite a lot of different places that public transport could not take you to as efficiently.

Have a great trip! :)

Bangkok, Thailand
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 Days Plan in Melbourne

Peter, thanks for your suggestion. We did look into the 2 days tour for GOR but foresee 2 problems:

1) Many of the GOR 2 days tours drop you somewhere half-way in the GOR at noon on first day, then you are left on our own until next day at noon to join another on-going tour group. The accommodation they provide are usually smaii motels, some even with shared bathrooms. Can you suggest one tour that actually take us along the whole trip for 2 days 1 night, and with decent accommodation like a double/twin room in a proper hotel?

2) Most of the 2 days 1 night tour allows for only one 5kg hand-carry bag for each passenger. We are overseas tourists with a 20Kg luaggage bag + one 5 kg hand-carry each! So how to solve this problem?

Edited: 02 September 2013, 04:59