We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2.5 days in Melbourne in Nov

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado, USA
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
2.5 days in Melbourne in Nov

I'm in the final stages of considering/setting up a trip that starts off in Melbourne and figured out I can work it to be in Melbourne for 2.5 days (Sun afternoon to Tues evening) before the trip begins. The road tour itself will go out along the Great Ocean Road to Adelaide so I'll get some of the GOR stuff on the road but am trying to think about what to do in those other 2.5 days (besides recover from jet lag).

For those who care, the trip then goes up to Alice Springs via Flinders Ranges, Coober Pedy, and Uluru. The tour finishes up in Darwin after visiting Kakadu and Litchfield.

I was thinking about the walking tour the first afternoon as I'm sure I'll want to stretch my legs after all that travel then maybe Philips Island on Monday? Are there day tour excursions to PI that stay late enough for the Penguin Parade? What then on Tuesday? I need to get back for the joining meeting at 6 PM but otherwise have all day.

I tend to prefer nature and history over art, "culture" and drinking.

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2.5 days in Melbourne in Nov

I would also think of the horse and carriage from Swanston Street, The Brown TRAM number 35 FREE tram that takes you round the city HOP ON HOP OFF.

the info centre is in Federation Square.

Melbourne Gaol

The Shrine

Polly Woodside

Captain Cook's Cottage

ChinaTown

State Treasury

House of Parliament tour

High Tea at the Windsor Hotel

High Tea at the House of Parliament

St Paul's Cathedral

St Patrick's Cathedral

State Library

Remember to check out MYKI card for travel on trams, buses and trains. You must purchase a myki card regardless age

Google MYKI and download a info pack.

If you are game hire a bike and cycle yourself. Blue bikes everywhere and again you can ride on and ride off.

Edited: 28 August 2013, 22:24
Colorado, USA
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2.5 days in Melbourne in Nov

Thanks ... is there any difference in what we can see from either side of the airplane? Seating is still pretty open so I can grab a window seat on either side.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2.5 days in Melbourne in Nov

No not really. It is country on both sides.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2.5 days in Melbourne in Nov

I'm not sure if your tours will take you to see Australian animals (other than the crocodiles?) Given that you like nature , then I would suggest that you look into a visit to Healvesville Sanctuary (day trip) so you can get up close and personal with Australian animals (kangaroos, koala, birds, wombats etc)

Other places of interest for history would be Bendigo/Ballarat (gold history, like California) and for a bit of countryside, try Daylesford .

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,796 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2.5 days in Melbourne in Nov

Certainly, I agree -a walk around the city when you first arrive. You can either head towards the Tourist Information Centre at Federation Square where they will give you plenty of information about self guided walks, or you can download self guided walks from http://www.victoriawalks.org.au/Melbourne/ or take one of the I'm Free walks http://www.imfree.com.au/melbourne/ The guides work for tips only - you pay nothing or whatever you think it's worth.

In the afternoon you can pick up a Philip Island bus tour if you want to see the penguins or you can head down to the St Kilda Pier where there is also a colony of Fairy Penguins - albeit a much smaller group.

On Monday, yes, Healesville Sanctuary is a great idea. Again, a bus tour is possible or, if you go to the website you will find directions for how to get there by public transport.

I'd spend Tuesday morning exploring the city. Check out the walking track along the Yarra River, take a boat to Williamstown down the river, explore Melbourne's laneways and experience the coffee. Although you say you're not into museums, the Immigration Museum is very interesting (reminds me a bit of Ellis Island museum in NYC),

The Melbourne Aquarium is a good place to spend some time (especially the Jelly Room), the Botanical Gardens are an oasis of quiet in the middle of the city - lots to see and do.

Enjoy your time in Melbourne.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2.5 days in Melbourne in Nov

remember seeing the penguns it gets extremely cold down there and you can wait a while for hem to appear and march up the beach. So rug up keep warm.

Melbourne Zoo is very good and so is Werribee park both wildlife and the historic house.

7. Re: 2.5 days in Melbourne in Nov

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2014, 06:19