We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family with 2 kids and 5 days......please suggest

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melaka, Melaka...
9 posts
Save Topic
Family with 2 kids and 5 days......please suggest

Hi folks

This is what i am thinking of doing

Day 1 Weeribee Open Range

Day 2 GOR.....thinking of joining a bus/van tour

Day 3 Philip island

Day 4 Dandenong Range

Day 5 Melbourne Aquarium plus city

Is this feasible?

i need suggestion from locals/ others as i am not so sure of the geographical coordinates

Can i slip in a swim with the dolphins for the kids? and where does this take place?

We will be staying at the Melbourne Metro YHA

do i need to do overnight stays for any or all of the day trips?

i was thinking of coming back to the hostel after each trip but we could stay overnight if that is more practical and more worth it

As you can guess this is our 1st trip to Oz and to Melbourne

thanks

john/mohini

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family with 2 kids and 5 days......please suggest

Hi KK,

If you are taking a tour, then you don't need to stay overnight at any of these places but if driving yourself, then an overnight along the GOR is probably safest, especially since you're not familiar with the roads etc.

But how are you planning to get to all these places as the only one that is in the city is #5 Melb Aquarium.

The rest are at least 1-1.5 hours drive from the city. (except for GOR which is a stretch of road that one can drive on for 3 hours so more)

Day 1 Weribee Open Range

Day 2 GOR.

Day 3 Philip island

Day 4 Dandenong Ranges

Day 5 Melbourne Aquarium plus city

Re: Swim with Dolphins: you need to go to the Mornington Peninsula about 1.5hours from the city) or from Queenscliff. http://www.visitvictoria.com/SiteSearch.aspx?q=swim+with+dolphins

Also, when you are actually traveling?

Melaka, Melaka...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family with 2 kids and 5 days......please suggest

7th sept to 11th sept

I don't intend to drive so I suppose I will have to take tours:-) :-) :-) :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family with 2 kids and 5 days......please suggest

You might be able to get to the Dandenong Ranges by public transport but it depends on where yo are going. Is it for Puffing Billy?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family with 2 kids and 5 days......please suggest

Not sure how old your kids are, but I think the penguins parade at Philip Island is a really memorable trip to make (tour leaving afternoon, getting home late ). A day / half day at the Melbourne zoo would enable the kids to see koalas, kangaroos etc as well as many other animals, walking around the city is amazing. There are beautiful gardens & a day exploring the arcades and quirky laneways, cafe culture, Southbank, will give you a feeling of what the city is about. It's an easy tram ride to Port Melbourne or St Kilda where you can walk along the foreshore, the pier, enjoy coffee / ice creams etc at a beach cafe. A day trip to Ballarat where you / the kids can pan for gold, is worth considering. A day trip ( consider a day tour) along the great Ocean Road would be amazing. I love the Dandenong Ranges, but not sure that as a visitor with a short time frame, that I would put it ahead of other places. My son & family LOVE the Werribee Zoo but they live nearby. Depends what you want o see & how you would get there. e live in Melbourne and regularly go into the city, often jsut to wander & soak up the ambience of the city, added to by sreet performers eg Southbank during the weekend. Try to visit Degraves street ( near Flinders st) which is really quirky & full of little cafes & restaurants - all reasonable prices. Walk thu the old GPO, up Bourke St Mall esp on a weekend when the buskers are in full force. Maybe take a ferry ride along the yarra, and make use of the free tram. Enjoy Melbourne, it's an amazing city!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family with 2 kids and 5 days......please suggest

How old are the kids?

Melaka, Melaka...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family with 2 kids and 5 days......please suggest

12 years n 8 years

Melaka, Melaka...
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Family with 2 kids and 5 days......please suggest

puffing billy is one thing that we don't want to miss, is there anything else to see at dandenong ranges?

Melaka, Melaka...
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Family with 2 kids and 5 days......please suggest

thanks so much...for the input

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family with 2 kids and 5 days......please suggest

If you're going to Puffing Billy by tour, I don't think you have any option but to go where they take you!.

I do know that there are tours to the Dandenong Ranges that take you to Puffing Billy, the National Park, the Aboriginal Cultural Centre & for a stop at the charming little township(s) in the Dandenongs etc.

Hope you get this message in time!

Melaka, Melaka...
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Family with 2 kids and 5 days......please suggest

Thx, since we don't have a choice :-) :-) :-) we might just as well sit back n enjoy, anyway , I am not on a schedule as in schedules...so it should be ok:-) :-) :-)